Surface grinding room
(07-13-2018, 12:57 PM)Bobby Thompson Wrote: I really do not have a way to check after assembly. My vises are to small to clamp a fully assembled plane.

Well, then, now is the time to grab one of those big Kurt vises.  
Big Grin

All I’m looking for is a ballpark measurement that you could get by placing the plane on a tablesaw top or surface plate and try to get a feeler gauge between the two.  I’m not a member of the flat plane society.
Nice work station you have there.
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(07-12-2018, 10:12 PM)Bobby Thompson Wrote: I know that tablesaetom sells planes on this site and I do not want to cut his business, so I would like to have his permission to sell here. I wish him only the best and will work with him in anyway I can.

That's very honorable of you, but, no offense to Tom, noone has a monopoly on what products or services can be sold here.  We're all friends and equal.  Offer up what you may.

And, geeze, you've been on here longer than most of us have. Where are you located, Bobby?
(07-13-2018, 05:05 PM)Cian Wrote: That's very honorable of you, but, no offense to Tom, noone has a monopoly on what products or services can be sold here.  We're all friends and equal.  Offer up what you may.

And, geeze, you've been on here longer than most of us have.  Where are you located, Bobby?

I am in the very southwest corner of the great state of Arkansas. Genuine born and raised hillbilly.
BAT

A man wearing a helmet defending our nation should make more money than a man wearing a helmet playing games!
Know all about surface grinders and grinding planes. good to see someone else taking over.

Tom
(07-15-2018, 07:26 AM)tablesawtom Wrote: Know all about surface grinders and grinding planes. good to see someone else taking over.

Tom

Thanks Tom. Your work is what inspired me. Also the help you gave was appreciated.
BAT

A man wearing a helmet defending our nation should make more money than a man wearing a helmet playing games!
I tend to worry about people grinding the sides and soles of hand planes.....not every plane is an "H" model with thick sides.....some were pretty darn thin...before some people even tried their grinding systems on them.....runs the risk of a too thin casting breaking.   Normally, the ONLY planes that NEEDED squared sides were either the No. 51 miter plane ( for use in the No. 52 mitre board) or the No. 62 that some used on a shooting board.
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
I love your set up and the space you have.  Thank you for showing us.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
(07-17-2018, 07:55 AM)bandit571 Wrote: I tend to worry about people grinding the sides and soles of hand planes.....not every plane is an "H" model with thick sides.....some were pretty darn thin...before some people even tried their grinding systems on them.....runs the risk of a too thin casting breaking.   Normally, the ONLY planes that NEEDED squared sides were either the No. 51 miter plane ( for use in the No. 52 mitre board) or the No. 62 that some used on a shooting board.

I agree. Just because you can doesn't mean you should.
(07-17-2018, 12:45 PM)Mike Brady Wrote: I agree. Just because you can doesn't mean you should.

I flattened the bottom of my #4 on a beltsander and then on my DMT plate.  Worked pretty good compared to the way I got it, plenty good enough for a smoother.  Just ran the sides on the DMT plate until shiny and called it done.  Squaring the sides for shooting is not possible with my mickymouse setup. Lots of other good planes sitting around that are acceptable for that.  The #4 was my first plane, from FIL after he passed away.  Since then, I don't buy any planes that are so far out of square.

To the OP: thanks for posting that,  we all wish would could give that level of attention to the old ones... watch your PM's, you'll get some response I'm sure.

To Tablesaw Tom: Thanks for all the plane photos you posted here, they were all great!
Skip