8" Grizzly Jointer, G0656X or G490X?
Both these 8" Grizzly jointers are out of stock with no telling when they will be available, so maybe it is dumb to even consider, but would anyone have any preference over these jointers?  

Biggest differences I see are G490X: longer table length by a couple inches, longer footprint, lever action adjustment, parallelogram table.

G0656X: Wider table of 9" vs. 8", handwheel adjustment, dovetailed table.
I have the predecessor of the G0656X, the G0586 with upgraded cutterhead H7654, and it has been an absolute perfect tool in my shop. The older style jointers with dovetail ways are criticized some because of the potential of sagging and the shimming that might not need to occur to align them properly. The reality for me is after upgrading the cutterhead, I haven't had to touch a thing since the dang thing arrived in my shop 10+ years ago.
The G0490 was a few hundred more than the G0586 when I went through my purchasing decision. The longer infeed bed and the parallelogram design wasn't worth the price difference for me and I haven't regretted purchasing the G0586. With that being said somebody else could easily justify the difference in price over 10-20 years of ownership.
2023-2024 NFL Pick 'em
Group ID#: 34296
Group Password IBTP
Reason they are out is everyone ordered before the increase of 25% from the Tariff import duty.  If you buy a new one now it will be that much more.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
(07-14-2018, 06:16 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: Reason they are out is everyone ordered before the increase of 25% from the Tariff import duty.  If you buy a new one now it will be that much more.

Actually, they have been out of stock for many of their cheaper planers and jointers for quite a long time, it has nothing to do with the tariffs.  Their supply problems from their Chinese suppliers have been going on for around a year now, part of which was due to their main Chinese supplier expanding and at the same time having to comply with new environmental regulations.
(07-14-2018, 10:06 AM)rschissler Wrote: G0656X: Wider table of 9" vs. 8", handwheel adjustment, dovetailed table.

That extra inch in table width isn't going to do much for you since the cutting head width is still just 8".  I would go with the G490...the parallelogram is considered by most to be a superior design.
Bob
(07-14-2018, 06:16 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: Reason they are out is everyone ordered before the increase of 25% from the Tariff import duty.  If you buy a new one now it will be that much more.

I wonder where they're made? The tariffs apply to machines produced in Mainland China, they don't apply to machines produced in Taiwan, or at least that's my understanding. Will castings and other parts find their way from China to Taiwan, be machined/assembled there and labeled "Made in Taiwan"? Wouldn't surprise me.
I went with the G490X (scratch and dent sale item) which I rebuilt. I've been very pleased with it.
I purchased mainly for the long tables. Working mainly by myself, the longer tables allow me to edge joint 10' material fairly easy.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(07-17-2018, 06:39 PM)kurt18947 Wrote: I wonder where they're made? The tariffs apply to machines produced in Mainland China, they don't apply to machines produced in Taiwan, or at least that's my understanding. Will castings and other parts find their way from China to Taiwan, be machined/assembled there and labeled "Made in Taiwan"? Wouldn't surprise me.

Both are made in China.  In the short term it is probably too much trouble to do assembly in Taiwan.  It is a long term possibility since you can buy machines that show built in Austria (and a lot of other places) with parts (particularly castings) made in China.  My guess is they will only shift assembly if the tariffs prove long term.
I've had several jointers over the years. Last dove tail style I had was a Delta which took 8 hours to properly align. I had to make shims to align the tables. Bought a Grizzly parallelogram jointer and had it perfectly aligned in one hour.