Anyone use a Dust Deputy?
Herb

I have both the small one and the big one.  I will not do without the small dust deputy at all for both the shop and car cleaning.  Every year I do clean the filter in the vacuum to get the best suction I can get.  I also have a few extra 5 gallon buckets since I dump my stuff in our water ditch and it allows me to only go every few weeks.

The bigger one I used to use for my DC, but know I have a bigger and better one and will sell it locally.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
I have a DD hooked to an older iteration of the Fein Turbo II. If your vac has too much suction it will pull the dust right past the DD and into the vac. This problem is mentioned with some regularity on Festool sites. Festool makes an attachment to control the amount of suction going into the vac and this was something necessary with my setup. Fine dust is especially difficult. Oneida has instructions showing the use of two DD's hooked to each other as one way to counter this problem. Festool and some others vacs have built in power controls to dial down suction for fine dust.

Reading here, it doesn't seem to effect everyone, but for some too much suction can be a problem.
I have one I use with my shop vac and it's a game changer. I've never had to replace the filter on my shop vac since I started using the DD. I do have some issues keeping the DD upright when moving around, but will soon build a rolling stand for it that anchors it down. I liked it so much, I bought the DD that fits on top of my Festool dust collector. Pricey, but worth it, considering how small the bags are on the Festool vacs.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
Great addition.  I got mine 5-6 years ago.  I built the cart from Woodsmith that puts both vac and dust deputy together.  Really easy to dump the 5 gal bucket.  I get almost nothing in the vac.
John

Always use the right tool for the job.

We need to clean house.
Thanks for the replies guys. I found the invoice from when I bought the system a long time ago.
I paid $49 for a 40' hose to go with it, and today, the same hose is $127.
Talk about price increases.
Here's a link for it.
40 foot hose
I never went for the DD. I just keep the vacs emptied.
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

The only time a separator makes sense, IMHO, is if you're using bags in your vac and filling/replacing them too frequently.

If you can put a bag into your vac and only have to replace that bag every month to few months, then just stick w/ the bag and skip the separator altogether.

If your vac won't accept bags, I'd seriously consider upgrading to a vac that will use bags before investing in a separator.
Main vac is a 30 gallon Shop-Vac. No bag, never had one. Bought new around 1988. On it's second motor. It's been a good one.

Second is a Fein II, around ten years old. It's only function is to stay hooked to one of my 6" sanders.
I don't replace the bags in it, I dump them when needed. Reuse, as long as there are no holes in the bag. I'll get 3-4 uses from the bag before it develops a hole in the paper.
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Herb,

I bought the yellow steel industrial one and it works fantastic.  I'm using a 14 gallon Rigid shop vac and there is virtually no dust material in the vacuum cleaner what so ever.  I bought my deputy when the price was $129.  The Monday after I bought it, before it shipped, the price increased to $200. The plastic model should function identically, I bought the steel one because I have a few metal working machines in my shop and I use it to vacuum swarf as well as sawdust.  I bought a 14 gallon heavy plastic barrel with a lockable ring top off amazon for like $30.00.  They are blue and made by Eagle Container.  It works fabulous.  You will need a heavy drum or the cyclone will suck the sides of you drum in.  A lot of people use a double 5 gallon bucket one nested in side the other.  I know with my steel Deputy, I had to purchase the 2"-2 1/2" adaptor for both the inlet and outlet of the cyclone another $20 or so.  Nothing is cheap at Oneida!
Eric
(07-17-2018, 11:06 AM)Stwood_ Wrote: Main vac is a 30 gallon Shop-Vac. No bag, never had one. Bought new around 1988. On it's second motor. It's been a good one.

Second is a Fein II, around ten years old. It's only function is to stay hooked to one of my 6" sanders.
I don't replace the bags in it, I dump them when needed. Reuse, as long as there are no holes in the bag. I'll get 3-4 uses from the bag before it develops a hole in the paper.

Those 30-gallon units can be difficult to find these days.

I like the bags just to keep the filter clean.  I started using the bags to save from having to stop and clean the filter all the time.

I designed my separator because when the big chip producers arrived (Inca jointer/planer at the time), I was spending too much time and money on bags.