Anyone use a Dust Deputy?
(07-17-2018, 01:54 PM)Phil Thien Wrote: Those 30-gallon units can be difficult to find these days.

I like the bags just to keep the filter clean.  I started using the bags to save from having to stop and clean the filter all the time.

I designed my separator because when the big chip producers arrived (Inca jointer/planer at the time), I was spending too much time and money on bags.

Yes. I can no longer find parts for this one. Out of business I suppose.
My last filter came from Ebay, one that was OEM and I just happened to spot it.
My old filter was the second one I had put on it, and was really getting worn out to the point it would fall down into the barrel once in a while.
Laugh
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(07-17-2018, 02:09 PM)Stwood_ Wrote: Yes. I can no longer find parts for this one. Out of business I suppose.
My last filter came from Ebay, one that was OEM and I just happened to spot it.
My old filter was the second one I had put on it, and was really getting worn out to the point it would fall down into the barrel once in a while.
Laugh

Not too long ago I was searching for a 30-gallon unit, as I had come across some 30-gallon bags and had an application or such a monster (for a CNC machine with which I was helping someone).

But I found that Shop-Vac had discontinued their 30-gallon model.
(07-15-2018, 12:36 AM)Herb G Wrote: I do not have the floor space to make a trolley to put the DD on along with the Shop-Vac.

Thanks for any help.

I took a different approach to mine... I, too, am short on floor space, but I have room to go up. I'm also an engineer, so I take every possible opportunity to over-complicate things
Big Grin 
Angel

I have this 12 gallon craftsman unit, same head as a 16 gallon, smaller tub. So the filter comes within a few inches of the bottom, meaning it holds very little debris.  So by going up, I can now actually hold 12 gallons of stuff, and I don't take up more space in the shop. It also doesn't add a length of hose and some elbows like it would if you simply mounted the deputy on top. I also put a HEPA filter on it, and a diffuser/muffler on the outlet so it doesn't kick up dust behind it.

[Image: ROAO5jgj4a5FV5eFkU5UT-Xrg5AgphVf3ymq6j9M...06-h944-no]

I had to cap the inlet, put some rubber gasket on the rim of the tub, and clamp the whole thing to the tub.  The "fishbowl" is just a piece of thin lexan with a small board glued/screwed to either end, bent in a teardrop shape to screw the boards together. Sealing it to the head unit took a few tries since it's far from flat. I couldn't do another disc because of stuff sticking down, and it would be (more) top heavy, so I did an aluminum ring for it to clamp to attached to a brace that seals it around the filter. Threaded rod holds it all together, and I used gorilla glue on the fishbowl to seal it. 

[Image: Cp5RLCU5XNcpW9vQ7IfGHKOXjHNVAIVJGY7xTE1P...64-h944-no]

All in all it works great. I used wing nuts in spots to make it easier to clean out, and I hardly ever have to.  Super light things like packing peanuts and fig newton wrappers will make it thru to the filter, pretty much everything else settles out. 

As we all know, Newton's 4th law of physics states that no shop vac can roll over its own power cord. So that part is even worse given the higher center of gravity, and the hose pulling higher up too. But the HD hose reaches farther too. I'm happy to not take up more space, or lose any efficiency in added corrugated hose and elbows.
Benny

I added the DD a few years ago and it's worked great. Like John Mihich, I built a cart from the Woodsmith plans to move it around the shop, and that too works pretty well...

[Image: IrnSjgJ.jpg]

[Image: 6og936Z.jpg]

[Image: hAoJQDr.jpg]

Dave
"One should respect public opinion insofar as is necessary to avoid starvation and keep out of prison, but anything that goes beyond this is voluntary submission to an unnecessary tyrany, and is likely to interfere with happiness in all kinds of ways."
Why don't you order a DD clone from Banggood.com.  It's just $45 or so with free shipping.  Then if you don't like it, you aren't out much

RP
I have the blue “Dust Right” one from Rockler. Works as advertised.

I built a cart that holds both the shop vac and the collector, makes life much easier. 

Even though the canister for the Dust Right is about the same size as my shop vac, there is no big filter taking up space.

I will say, I still need to clean the shop vac filter regularly, it still clogs with the VERY fine dust that gets through the cyclone.
Ralph Bagnall
www.woodcademy.com
Watch Woodcademy TV free on our website.
Sorry I am a little late to the party here.  I intended to take a picture of mine but kept forgetting.  Finally remembered so here it is.  The one advantage over the side by side version is that it goes vertical so it doesn't take up any extra floor space.  It is a little top heavy so you have to roll it around carefully.  Bigger casters might help or you could intentionally throw some ballast in the shop vac since you really don't need the volume inside the vacuum.  I chose the highest power shop vac with the smallest capacity that I could find.  I had also heard of the weld for the intake tube occasionally failing so thought this would take some of the torque away by using the wooden side to support the hose.

(07-24-2018, 10:23 PM)BrentDH Wrote: Sorry I am a little late to the party here.  I intended to take a picture of mine but kept forgetting.  Finally remembered so here it is.  The one advantage over the side by side version is that it goes vertical so it doesn't take up any extra floor space.  It is a little top heavy so you have to roll it around carefully.  Bigger casters might help or you could intentionally throw some ballast in the shop vac since you really don't need the volume inside the vacuum.  I chose the highest power shop vac with the smallest capacity that I could find.  I had also heard of the weld for the intake tube occasionally failing so thought this would take some of the torque away by using the wooden side to support the hose.

I like this idea a lot. I might go with something like this.
Thanks for all the help guys.
(07-25-2018, 09:44 AM)Herb G Wrote: I like this idea a lot. I might go with something like this.
Thanks for all the help guys.

Let me know if you need any dimensions or details.  The top board is held on with wing nuts so you can easily remove it to empty the bucket.  I always intended to add some mounting stuff on the back to hold accessories but never got around to it, but the entire back is one big flat surface so you could use it to hold whatever hoses and nozzles you would want.

This is a very similar model to the shop vac that I used. The idea was that the volume didn't matter because the 5 gallon bucket gets the dust. But I wanted as much power as I could get. Also by this one being very short in height it kept the overall height of the assembly down.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0041T...UTF8&psc=1
(07-24-2018, 10:23 PM)BrentDH Wrote: Sorry I am a little late to the party here.  I intended to take a picture of mine but kept forgetting.  Finally remembered so here it is.  The one advantage over the side by side version is that it goes vertical so it doesn't take up any extra floor space.  It is a little top heavy so you have to roll it around carefully.  Bigger casters might help or you could intentionally throw some ballast in the shop vac since you really don't need the volume inside the vacuum.  I chose the highest power shop vac with the smallest capacity that I could find.  I had also heard of the weld for the intake tube occasionally failing so thought this would take some of the torque away by using the wooden side to support the hose.

Nice!