Dang Sharpening Threads Anyway
They've totally ruined me!  
Yes  While my fine tool sharpening skills have increased tremendously, I'm totally ruined for mundane tasks like sharpening the mower blade.

The manual says "Take a file and sharpen the blade".  Ha!  Think I can execute that simple task now, after reading all these sharpening threads - no way.  My mower blades are hollow ground on a CBN wheel, the burr is removed with a fine stone, then stropped on leather with green compound.  Once I even put a secondary bevel on one, with a slight back bevel.  Sheesh!  The blades are polished with autosol til they are bright.    
Rolleyes

I'm ruined forever.......but that first pass does look tremendous.  
Laugh
True power makes no noise - Albert Schweitzer.       It's obvious he was referring to hand tools
My advice to you: stay away from the knife forums. It's your last hope.
Best,
Aram, always learning

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Web: My woodworking photo site
You have too much time on your hands!
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
(07-15-2018, 08:26 PM)BaileyNo5 Wrote: They've totally ruined me!  
Yes  While my fine tool sharpening skills have increased tremendously, I'm totally ruined for mundane tasks like sharpening the mower blade.

The manual says "Take a file and sharpen the blade".  Ha!  Think I can execute that simple task now, after reading all these sharpening threads - no way.  My mower blades are hollow ground on a CBN wheel, the burr is removed with a fine stone, then stropped on leather with green compound.  Once I even put a secondary bevel on one, with a slight back bevel.  Sheesh!  The blades are polished with autosol til they are bright.    
Rolleyes

Laugh

Laugh ...The grass quakes with fear when you start the engine!!!.....It's going to be "razor cut"!!
Big Grin
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

I can relate !!!

Also, for some reason I started hunting down pictures of polished hammer heads.  *Nothing* practical there.   But I have seen some lately from Jim Hendricks, the Crucible tool guys, and the Brent Bailey forge in California.

Chris
Chris
(07-15-2018, 08:26 PM)BaileyNo5 Wrote: They've totally ruined me!  

Rolleyes

Laugh

What?  No pics of .001" thick grass shavings?

Big Grin
If you are going down a river at 2 mph and your canoe loses a wheel, how much pancake mix would you need to shingle your roof?

The 'natural' look is back in style. Go ahead, hit a few boulders, send gravel into the neighbor's front window. Leave the angle grinder and 30 grit for the next mower. 

Around here, summer water-sewer rates quadruple and the manicured lawn only needs a weed-whip.
Actually, my John Deere manual recommends not to sharpen to a fine edge, just a pointed edge.  I was surprised when I read that.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
(07-16-2018, 10:16 AM)Admiral Wrote: Actually, my John Deere manual recommends not to sharpen to a fine edge, just a pointed edge.  I was surprised when I read that.

My Lie-Nielsen manual says the same thing.
Laugh
Just wondering.  I thought a CBN wheel was only to be used with M2 and harder metals and that soft metals were bad for it?
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.