Dang Sharpening Threads Anyway
(07-16-2018, 01:19 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: Just wondering.  I thought a CBN wheel was only to be used with M2 and harder metals and that soft metals were bad for it?

Seriously for a moment; soft metals like a mower blade can damage a diamond plate or a CBN wheel by loosening the abrasive particles from the softer matrix of the plate or wheel.  Back when there was much written on forums about DMT plates wearing so quickly, that was raised by a spokesperson for DMT.
We now return you to our regular broadcast...
Raised
(07-16-2018, 10:16 AM)Admiral Wrote: Actually, my John Deere manual recommends not to sharpen to a fine edge, just a pointed edge.  I was surprised when I read that.

I find a 50 grit belt on a 3450 rpm grinder works great. Make the same number of passes on each side of the blade, multiply that based on the number of blades and you're in business.
Mark

I'm no expert, unlike everybody else here - Busdrver

Nah...I like you, young feller...You remind me of my son... Timberwolf 03/27/12

Here's a fact: Benghazi is a Pub Legend... CharlieD 04/19/15

steel sticks to diamond, and steel doesn't sharpen things too well.  Then the diamonds break because of the much higher force.  People have been trying to get diamond turning to work on steel for about forever, I saw a talk on it last year. I think the average tool makes it for about 2 inches before it breaks, and an average facing operation is hundreds of inches.  And those tools are about $1500 for a cheap one.  My boss was really annoyed that someone had funded research to measure how long before a diamond tool breaks.  

I hate to say that I have never sharpened a lawnmower blade.  I suppose I should. Metal blade whipping around at that speed cuts the grass fairly well no matter how dull
I am not knocking it down about him using it I was just wondering since if it was OK I have other turning tools to sharpen on it as well.  So I guess it is not good to do then.

Sorry for hijacking the post which was meant to be fun.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
(07-16-2018, 03:01 PM)EricU Wrote: steel sticks to diamond, and steel doesn't sharpen things too well.  Then the diamonds break because of the much higher force.  People have been trying to get diamond turning to work on steel for about forever, I saw a talk on it last year. I think the average tool makes it for about 2 inches before it breaks, and an average facing operation is hundreds of inches.  And those tools are about $1500 for a cheap one.  My boss was really annoyed that someone had funded research to measure how long before a diamond tool breaks.  

I hate to say that I have never sharpened a lawnmower blade.  I suppose I should. Metal blade whipping around at that speed cuts the grass fairly well no matter how dull
A dull blade rips the grass apart instead of slicing it like a sharp blade..and it is hard on the grass because of it...A belt grinder IMO is the best sharpener for lawnmower blades.
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

Wonder IF this would help....
Confused 

Picked it at an Estate sale....
Rolleyes
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
Serious replies are banned from this thread.  
Winkgrin  You must commiserate with me, relate a similar story or ridicule me and the process!

But I can tell you guys are hopeless.....you can't help yourselves - you will turn this into a serious thread, regardless of my attempts to make it silly.  
Big Grin

Carry on, but please have some fun.  
Yes
True power makes no noise - Albert Schweitzer.       It's obvious he was referring to hand tools
In Texas my lawn is so brown and dry, I take some green honing compound to every blade. Looks terrific. Bonus: it sharpen the mower when you cut it!
Smile
One time my neighbor was away on business-travel for 2 months.   He himself wasn't very mechanically inclined, and then his wife was trying to pick up the mowing while he was away (to avoid being further fined by the neighborhood association...).

Anyway, I had her give me their mower for 20 minutes, and I found their blade as dull as anything.  She was SO happy when I did a re-grind on it.  It really made a difference.

Following those days, in more recent years -- THANKS TO THIS FORUM -- I file my own mower blade rather than grind it.  It's about hand tools, you know!

Chris
Chris
(07-23-2018, 02:03 PM)C. in Indy Wrote: Following those days, in more recent years -- THANKS TO THIS FORUM -- I file my own mower blade rather than grind it.  It's about hand tools, you know!

Chris

Hello Chris;

Some of us work in a blended handtool/powertool shop.... besides my grinder is one of the few tools that was passed down to me from my Dad.
Skip