cedar chest lining -- type of cedar?
Some Internet research shows that all the aromatics seem to work with moths, none seem to work with the larvae.  It is the larvae the do the damage to garments.  Camphor works about the same as the other options, but it makes  you smell like an 80 year old great grandma from the Bronx (unless you get the stuff dry cleaned) so I would not go with the camphor.

All the sites I've seen suggest that you pack in plastic bags--just make sure that there is no larvae in the bag.  

I've found that I can tumble sweaters if they are completely dry and they will not shrink.  So I tumble the sweaters in the dryer to kill off any larvae, then bag them.

At that point the aromatics are not in play.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
(07-18-2018, 10:32 AM)Cooler Wrote: Some Internet research shows that all the aromatics seem to work with moths, none seem to work with the larvae.  It is the larvae the do the damage to garments.  Camphor works about the same as the other options, but it makes  you smell like an 80 year old great grandma from the Bronx (unless you get the stuff dry cleaned) so I would not go with the camphor.

All the sites I've seen suggest that you pack in plastic bags--just make sure that there is no larvae in the bag.  

I've found that I can tumble sweaters if they are completely dry and they will not shrink.  So I tumble the sweaters in the dryer to kill off any larvae, then bag them.

At that point the aromatics are not in play.

I think the original intent was to prevent invasion by Momma looking for good pasture for her young ones. Just like now, people forgot the details. Carpet beetles like wool and are the prime culprit in aerating my wool jackets.
(07-17-2018, 05:01 PM)hbmcc Wrote: Port Orford CedarChamaecyparis lawsoniana.   Having a small native range in northern coastal California to southern-central Pacific coast of Oregon, and nearly extinct species, Port Orford Cedar was the natural alternative to Japanese religious building construction, which has prevented most timber from being consumed locally. This Cedar is uniquely and intensely fragrant. Popularity as a landscape plant may extend the species. However, its size can compete with redwoods.

That's what I use, and the smell is very distinct. We lined a whole linen closet in 4x1 Lawson in a friends new house amaybe 12 years back., She's since sold the property, But I bet that closet still smells of Ginger, and there are no moths in there. 

Port Orford was planted as farm shelter all around NZ in years gone by. Some of it is pretty ugly as it was pruned into a hedge at some point ~60 years ago, and them left to grow multiple leaders. So it's not the big old growth forest trees, but they make some logs big enough to mill, and a few knots isn't a problem for cedar chests etc, 

It's getting scarce in the wild, but wont go extinct as it's grown as an Ornamental in various parts of the world.
(07-20-2018, 02:49 AM)ianab Wrote: That's what I use, and the smell is very distinct. We lined a whole linen closet in 4x1 Lawson in a friends new house amaybe 12 years back., She's since sold the property, But I bet that closet still smells of Ginger, and there are no moths in there. 

Port Orford was planted as farm shelter all around NZ in years gone by. Some of it is pretty ugly as it was pruned into a hedge at some point ~60 years ago, and them left to grow multiple leaders. So it's not the big old growth forest trees, but they make some logs big enough to mill, and a few knots isn't a problem for cedar chests etc, 

It's getting scarce in the wild, but wont go extinct as it's grown as an Ornamental in various parts of the world.

That's great to hear! Thanks, for the news. I see it locally as a landscape plant. Even tried to specify it years ago. The fragrance impresses me as too much of a good thing. Fresh cut, the listed species can have potent scents, but simply scratching POC lumber will over power. 

For people with sensitivity to cedar odors, Redwood and the California Incense Cedar--maybe, Bald Cypress--have little if any. And, they perform the same functions.