Jointer making a funny noise
So here's an exciting video of me making passes on the jointer. It's making a loud noise at the tail end of almost every pass. I just finish changing the knives using the magna set. The last pass was the loudest and you can see me jump a little from being startled.  Any ideas on what to do? I replaced the knives and was hopeful...

Any clues? Need more information? 

Thanks for any assistance 

https://youtu.be/TIE3O8D41RU
"Life is too short for bad tools.".-- Pedder 7/22/11
Good video.
[Spoiler Alert]
I nearly lost it when the leprechauns jumped out from under the guard during the last pass!

Your outfeed table could be a little bit lower than it should be. I run wood across a jointer by pressing the wood against the outfeed table as a reference face, and set the bed .003" below top dead center of the knives. There will be a small amount of snipe, to be ripped off on the second pass at the table saw, or planed off in the planer. The outfeed table being too low will also give you a concave surface along the jointed face.
(07-17-2018, 05:47 AM)WilliamHodge Wrote: Good video.
[Spoiler Alert]
I nearly lost it when the leprechauns jumped out from under the guard during the last pass!

Your outfeed table could be a little bit lower than it should be. I run wood across a jointer by pressing the wood against the outfeed table as a reference face, and set the bed .003" below top dead center of the knives. There will be a small amount of snipe, to be ripped off on the second pass at the table saw, or planed off in the planer. The outfeed table being too low will also give you a concave surface along the jointed face.

I am definitely not Jay Bates....Andy Rawls etc.

Thanks for the suggestion.  I'll try this when I go into the garage today.  I am off all week so I was trying to do a few shop adjusting things.  I have acquired a few tools off CL in recent times and am trying to get them into ready to use condition.  I will also be seeing up my Delta BS... new tires, bearings, blade and cleaning.
Here's some way out of the box thinking ...

I do not hear any dust collection running, nor do I know where the port is on this machine.
However, is it possible that (without DC) the chamber surrounding the cutter-head is getting loaded with chips and at the last pass ejected some of them?

I ask because I believe I saw some chips come back during the first pass ...
~Dan.
I have attached dust collection and the problem still exists, also have adjusted the infeed and outfeed till they were coplanar with each other. Here is a picture of a jointed board and for reference I have my Swiss army knife fish scaler that has a ruler on it and this snipe is almost 3 in. Am I to assume that my knives are set too high? Or is it some of the problem that I don't know about? Appreciate the suggestions and assistance.

Attached Files Image(s)

Looks like the outfeed table is a little too low. Adjust the table up in small increments flip the board to a fresh side and rejoint. Rinse and repeat until the snipe disappears.

g
I've only had one...in dog beers.

"You can see the stars and still not see the light"
The Eagles: Already Gone
Try applying pressure only on the outfeed portion of the board.  It appears to me that the board dipped at the end of the pass because of the pressure being applied to the tail end of the board over the cutter head...hence, the snipe.
Bob
The problem is solved.  I lowered the knives. When I replaced the knives I noticed they were a bit thicker and overall bigger then the ones coming out... but I guess I didn't note the original setting exactly. 

Anyway, I lowered the knives and no snipe. 

Yay.

Thanks again.
(07-17-2018, 02:48 PM)Scott W Wrote: The problem is solved.  I lowered the knives. When I replaced the knives I noticed they were a bit thicker and overall bigger then the ones coming out... but I guess I didn't note the original setting exactly. 

Anyway, I lowered the knives and no snipe. 

Yay.

Thanks again.

Cool  I was gonna say, knives or outfeed table too high. Glad you got it figured out.
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(07-17-2018, 12:55 PM)Scott W Wrote: I have attached dust collection and the problem still exists, also have adjusted the infeed and outfeed till they were coplanar with each other. Here is a picture of a jointed board and for reference I have my Swiss army knife fish scaler that has a ruler on it and this snipe is almost 3 in. Am I to assume that my knives are set too high? Or is it some of the problem that I don't know about? Appreciate the suggestions and assistance.

I was taught that the infeed and outfeed tables should not be co-planar (parallel but not co-planar).

The outfeed table should be higher than the infeed table by roughly the amount to be removed. In other words, if the power goes out to the jointer in the middle of a board, the board on each side of the cutter will be resting flat on the table (with the blade not touching).

Also, the technique that I was taught for adjusting the cutter height was to lay a straight edge on the outfeed table and have it extend over the cutter. When you rotate the cutter by hand (in the cutting direction), the blade should pick up the straight edge and move it ~1/8" or a little bit more towards the infeed direction. It should move the same amount on each side of the table and for each of the cutter blades.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.