brad nail vs. pocket hole? help please!
so i'm making something like this...

wood-toy-chest-wood-storage-toy-shelf-toy-storage-wood-toy-bin-storage-solution-farmhouse-toy-bin-farmhouse-storage-wood-furniture

haven't really done woodworking in over a decade so i'm questioning how i'm going to get this done.  to attach the bottom and the back, would you guys use pocket holes and glue or brad nails and glue?  i'm using red oak 3/4" ply.  

also, the pocket hole screws i have are 1.25" pan head - are these hard to plug?

thanks for any info!
Is the back and bottom 3/4" stock as well? If so for the bottom and the back I would lean toward the screws rather than the brads, but I probably would not plug either one, just drill from the non-show side.
yes, the back and bottom are 3/4" ply.
brads are mostly useful for holding the pieces in place while gluing.  Even then you need clamps.
Given those choices, I would use pocket holes and glue.
Personally, I'd rabbet the inside edges of the sides, fit the back and bottom into the rabbet, glue and brad, or use a regular screws.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Dowels.  Most of the cabinet makers use dowels.  They are stronger for sheet goods.  A self centering jig + dowel centers makes this easy. 

Dowels position the boards easily and hold the boards in position better than even tight dadoes.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
I'd do as Rich says, fit the panels in rabbets and glue. But I always use staples instead of brads or screews. Much faster, and better holding power. If things are fitted correctly no clamps really needed. Thats assuming you are dealing with a non-showing side.
(07-18-2018, 08:41 AM)Admiral Wrote: Personally, I'd rabbet the inside edges of the sides, fit the back and bottom into the rabbet, glue and brad, or use a regular screws.

This is the more elegant solution and from a woodworking practices perspective, probably the preferred method.  However, the pocket holes would work fine. 

You can avoid plugging the holes by putting in a no-show location, as was suggested.  Kreg does sell special wood plugs that fit the hole.  They are available in different wood species to "match" what you are building, but they don't match very well.  You essentially end up with a plug that is sort of end grain, sliced on an angle, that you are inserting into face grain.  They aren't going to grain match very well, but they do fill the void of the hole well enough.
If you are going down a river at 2 mph and your canoe loses a wheel, how much pancake mix would you need to shingle your roof?

Kreg, now makes a jig for making your own plugs.  The advantage, I see is matching the material.  It is a bit pricey though. Dan