Suggestions for painting this?
I need to paint the lattice work on my garage. It is 1 by 2" cypress and was originally painted 7 years ago with latex paint. 

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what the easiest way would be to paint this. It will take quite a while painting it by hand with a brush but if I were to spray it, there would be a lot of overspray.

Thanks for any suggestions

Attached Files Image(s)

(07-18-2018, 10:45 AM)Randy C Wrote: I need to paint the lattice work on my garage. It is 1 by 2" cypress and was originally painted 7 years ago with latex paint. 

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what the easiest way would be to paint this. It will take quite a while painting it by hand with a brush but if I were to spray it, there would be a lot of overspray.

Thanks for any suggestions

I would mask off the exterior area and the area around the exterior perimeter and spray from the back first.  Then mask the back and spray the front eliminating the negative effects of overspray.

+1 to cam's point.  I'd get some painters plastic and tape it all the way around so it stands up to the air movement when spraying.
I also would mask and spray. I tried to convince my wife to do that when she was painting our picket fence. If you don't have a sprayer and don't want to buy one, you could rent and knock that job out in a couple hours, easy. your other option is to roll as much as you can and do the rest with a brush.
(07-18-2018, 01:07 PM)brnhornt Wrote: +1 to cam's point.  I'd get some painters plastic and tape it all the way around so it stands up to the air movement when spraying.

I had thought about this but thought that I might have problems with overspray running down the plastic and making a mess. 

If I tape the plastic to the back of the lattice, do I need to seal it all around the perimeter? Do I need to have any holes in the back 
For the air to flow through/escape or am I overthinking this?

Thanks
(07-18-2018, 02:14 PM)Randy C Wrote: I had thought about this but thought that I might have problems with overspray running down the plastic and making a mess. 

If I tape the plastic to the back of the lattice, do I need to seal it all around the perimeter? Do I need to have any holes in the back 

Thanks

Ehhhh....running down the plastic would only happen if you were spraying so heavy that you had runs on the lattice as well...but it's a good point...I'd probably throw a drop cloth down at the bottom just to be safe.

I think it would depend on what kind of sprayer you were using and how strong your tape is...but just a guess that taping the whole thing around the perimeter and then moving your gun along and you would be fine....but with all the varibles you could always just test a section and be on the lookout to see if it lift/pops anywhere.  If all else fails...perhaps get an old piece of sheet good (whatever you have laying around...or buy some 1/4" of something) and get a helper to hold it in place...spray...shift it over...spray....shift it over...spray...etc.   Just some brain storming ideas....
I would treat it like a chain link fence and roll it. Cut in edges with brush. Do from both sides. Or have two people do it. One inside and one out. Done in an hour.
John T.
(07-18-2018, 02:14 PM)Randy C Wrote: I had thought about this but thought that I might have problems with overspray running down the plastic and making a mess. 

Thanks

Use craft paper instead of plastic ... it has some absorbency to it.  Maybe a little longer to cut and put in place, but well worth it to contain any mess.
Six of one and a half dozen of the other.

Unfortunately, I have more experience in this area than I'd like since I would do that type job for folks when I was the only sucker---er---handyman or painter who would.

Rolling and back brushing is actually the quickest method, figuring total time involved. A thick napped roller(with a small amount of paint so it does not drip as much) will actually coat some of the edges of the lattice. A cheap natural bristle brush used to daub gets the rest. Once you are done, close the paint, toss the roller/brush and done.

The reason that is quicker is because taping and spraying actually takes longer, figuring the time it takes to tape off and cover to minimize overspray, spray, repeat for the other side, untape/uncover, and clean up the spray equipment. Then adding some checking and using a brush to get missed spots.
(07-18-2018, 10:45 PM)K. L McReynolds Wrote: Six of one and a half dozen of the other.

Unfortunately, I have more experience in this area than I'd like since I would do that type job for folks when I was the only sucker---er---handyman or painter who would.

Rolling and back brushing is actually the quickest method, figuring total time involved. A thick napped roller(with a small amount of paint so it does not drip as much) will actually coat some of the edges of the lattice. A cheap natural bristle brush used to daub gets the rest. Once you are done, close the paint, toss the roller/brush and done.

The reason that is quicker is because taping and spraying actually takes longer, figuring the time it takes to tape off and cover to minimize overspray, spray, repeat for the other side, untape/uncover, and clean up the spray equipment. Then adding some checking and using a brush to get missed spots.

KL

You make a very good points about the  time it takes to mask and clean up.

When you use a roller do you try to just roll the face of the lattice
And then use the brush to transfer some of the paint from the face to the sides of each board or do you try to roll the side of the board to some degree?

I thin the most difficult part of using this method would be controlling the runs that you don't see going down the back side. If I could talk my wife into helping I can see it being easier.