Master 3/4 Bath Remodel
Our house is about 30 years now. The small bathroom with shower needs total remodel. The current shower has white 4”x4” tiles on the three walls and on the ceiling. The shower has a soffit about a foot down from the ceiling.

I’m thinking of removing the soffit and only putting tile to the ceiling on the three walls. Is this OK or should I tile the ceiling and/ or leave the soffit in?

Google is not my friend. My wife found this tile she loves on the internet. It’s available with a diagonal pattern on a 2ft. X 4ft. tile, 8x48 planks, and 12x12 mosaic. She wants the large tiles in the shower, mosaic on the shower floor and planks around the walls like wainscoting.

Would you dare put the large 2’ x 4’ tiles on the shower ceiling? If so how would you install them?

Thanks,

Mike

( and dumb me thought I was going to the local big box and get some common off the shelf tiles )
The advantage of small tiles in a bathroom with a shower or bath is that the multiple grout lines add traction when the floor is wet.  For a "half bath" (no shower, no tub) the large tiles are fine.  I am putting in mosaic tiles for mine for the reason of traction.  It is your call.  In the shower I think small tiles are pretty much a "must".
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
(07-19-2018, 07:46 AM)Cooler Wrote: The advantage of small tiles in a bathroom with a shower or bath is that the multiple grout lines add traction when the floor is wet.  For a "half bath" (no shower, no tub) the large tiles are fine.  I am putting in mosaic tiles for mine for the reason of traction.  It is your call.  In the shower I think small tiles are pretty much a "must".

Sorry, meant 3/4 bath and I mentioned for the shower stall installing smaller mosaic tiles.

Thanks
(07-19-2018, 09:09 AM)mbg Wrote: Sorry, meant 3/4 bath and I mentioned for the shower stall installing smaller mosaic tiles.

Thanks

But you step out of the shower with wet feet.  So smaller tiles will be safer.  Or larger tiles with some texture.  12" x 12"  polished granite would be a hazard in my opinion.

And yet here a designer has done everything that I recommend against:

[Image: images-about-bathrooms-on-bath-accessori...35x202.jpg]

And here the tub surround his in small tiles and the rest in large ones.  So that is a vote for safety.

[Image: 921100256_nero-marble-tile_931100807_bia...788&w=2681]
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
You are going to put 2x4 ft tiles on the diagonal in the shower?  I would suggest you lay it out and look at the waste.  I'm thinking you might get as high as 50% waste.  I think there are better ideas out there.  No problem in use on the ceiling.  Big or small, suction per square inch is the same.  You might have to prop them up, but that could be true for small tile too.  

Regarding non-slip.  Some tiles come in a non-slip finish and others are naturally non-slip.  We did our shower and bath in 18 x 18 travertine.  Naturally non-slip.  YOu do want to use small time on the shower floor, not so much for the non-slip properties, but because in a traditional center drain shower, you need to conform to the slopes.  If you do a linear drain, slope is only one direction, so you can use big tile.

Rocket Science is more fun when you actually have rockets. 

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government." -- Patrick Henry
Regarding the large tiles and ceiling...

Large format tiles (tiles longer than 16") require very flat surfaces, not necessarily level or plumb, but flat or you're going to get lippage. Take one of those 4 foot tiles, put something about  1/8"-1/4" thick under the middle of the tile and see what happens to the ends. That little fulcrum is the same as a joist or stud out of plane.

Get the longest straightedge that will fit, and check the walls and ceiling for flatness. Your goal is less than 1/4" over 10'. If you're going down to the studs in the shower, plane down/or sister the bad studs to bring it all flat. Make sure those 4' tiles don't have a lot of bow in them before you commit to setting them on an offset diagonal/diamond grid. 

Tiling the ceiling can be done, but you'll want to make sure there is enough support to hold the extra weight (joist spacing, number of screws/nails in the sheet-rock). Use the right thinset, backbutter the tiles and they will stick upside down. Big tiles can also benefit from tile leveling systems. 

Mosey on down to the John Bridge Tile Forum Link Here if you would like advice from the tile experts. Lot's of pros there will answer all the Q's from the amateurs and also offer great advice on everything from substrate requirements, waterproofing (tiled shower floor, correct?), selecting the right thinsets.... whatever. They have been more than helpful to me on a couple of projects
(07-19-2018, 09:34 AM)Cooler Wrote: But you step out of the shower with wet feet.  So smaller tiles will be safer.  Or larger tiles with some texture.  12" x 12"  polished granite would be a hazard in my opinion.

And yet here a designer has done everything that I recommend against:

[Image: images-about-bathrooms-on-bath-accessori...35x202.jpg]

And here the tub surround his in small tiles and the rest in large ones.  So that is a vote for safety.

[Image: 921100256_nero-marble-tile_931100807_bia...788&w=2681]

Ha - I've seen these designs. The tile I've listed so far does not include the bathroom floor yet, but, will take your suggestion.

Mike
(07-19-2018, 10:09 AM)Mr_Mike Wrote: You are going to put 2x4 ft tiles on the diagonal in the shower? No, the 2'x4' tiles already have a diagonal pattern printed on them. They go on square to the walls. I would suggest you lay it out and look at the waste.  I'm thinking you might get as high as 50% waste.  I think there are better ideas out there.  No problem in use on the ceiling.  Big or small, suction per square inch is the same.  You might have to prop them up, but that could be true for small tile too.  

Regarding non-slip.  Some tiles come in a non-slip finish and others are naturally non-slip.  We did our shower and bath in 18 x 18 travertine.  Naturally non-slip.  YOu do want to use small time on the shower floor, not so much for the non-slip properties, but because in a traditional center drain shower, you need to conform to the slopes.  If you do a linear drain, slope is only one direction, so you can use big tile.

See note in RED above.