removing carpet transition strip -- can I avoid re-stretching?
I'm replacing sheet vinyl with ceramic tile in the master bath.  Right now, there is a  plastic reducing transition strip at the edge of the carpet going down to the vinyl.  When I'm done, the transition is going to have to go the other way.  I think to do it right, I'm going to have to take the transition strip out, but I think that will release the carpet.  Although the transition is pretty thin, so is it possible it's stapled?  I think I could tell if there was a nail board there, and it doesn't seem like the transition strip would hold the carpet.  

I was wondering if I could add staples to keep from releasing the tension in the carpet.  Or should I just bite the bullet and get a knee bump stretcher?
A custom wood threshold?  I did that.  You can staple the carpet and cut a rabbet on the bottom of the threshold to clear the carpet.  

For reasons I don't know the commercial thresholds have grooves running the  length of the threshold on the bottom.  I copied it, though I have no understanding what the purpose was.  

A few coats of poly will protect it.

I suppose you could modify a stone threshold (the box stores sell marble ones for pretty little money.  You would probably need a table saw like wet saw.  The sliding blade type would probably not work.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
I haven't quite gotten to the replacement transition yet, I'm more worried about having to stretch the carpet.  Or rather, not having to stretch the carpet

I suppose if I built my own transition, I could leave the existing transition there and just bridge over it.
Door is 30" or so wide? I doubt tension will be a problem. I'd do a stone/ceramic 4" wide threshold, trim the carpet back a couple inches, install a tack strip. I've never had to re-stretch the carpet, the adjoining wall will should the carpet in place.

Big box stores have the thresholds and tile stores have more to chose from.
(07-19-2018, 03:37 PM)joe1086 Wrote: Door is 30" or so wide? I doubt tension will be a problem. I'd do a stone/ceramic 4" wide threshold, trim the carpet back a couple inches, install a tack strip. I've never had to re-stretch the carpet, the adjoining wall will should the carpet in place.

Big box stores have the thresholds and tile stores have more to chose from.
 Just take a wood strip and nail it through the carpet close to the threshold.   Roly
(07-19-2018, 03:15 PM)EricU Wrote: I'm replacing sheet vinyl with ceramic tile in the master bath.  Right now, there is a  plastic reducing transition strip at the edge of the carpet going down to the vinyl.  When I'm done, the transition is going to have to go the other way.  I think to do it right, I'm going to have to take the transition strip out, but I think that will release the carpet.  Although the transition is pretty thin, so is it possible it's stapled?  I think I could tell if there was a nail board there, and it doesn't seem like the transition strip would hold the carpet.  

I was wondering if I could add staples to keep from releasing the tension in the carpet.  Or should I just bite the bullet and get a knee bump stretcher?

Just secure the carpet down a few inches from the strip with a couple screws and a wood batten.  be carefull when driving the screws to keep the carpet from wrapping around the screw. Use narrow screws. Remove when done.

Usually the carpet is stapled and the strip lays over the edge so it won't release.  Some strips are a pinch strip or have hooks but you should be able to tell.   The batten will keep the carpet taught while you replace the strip.
WoodNET... the new safespace
I went through that with a 30" door, and the carpet was fine with no stretching needed.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(04-21-2021, 06:59 AM)JefjafCak Wrote: I had quite a similar situation and tried to use staples but it didn't work for me. So I decided to get help from a spetialist.

BAM..... SPAMMER !!!!

[Image: ?u=https%3A%2F%2Fimages-na.ssl-images-am...f=1&nofb=1]
[Image: usa-flag-waving-united-states-of-america...if-clr.gif]