Paint can rim clean up
Video 
I’ve been focused on a long project (that should be done soon) and haven’t had much time for anything else. Today though, I suddenly thought of an easy solution for cleaning the paint can rims. No matter how hard I try I always seem to be chasing that last little bit of paint around and around the rim.
Now I KNOW this has to have been done before, but I suddenly thought of a solution, and of course, I had to make a video of it. Because that’s what I do
Smile

That's a good idea.  What I typically do for small cans is punch holes in the rim with a nail so the paint/finish will drip back down.  It's definitely not as clean a solution as yours.

For 1 gallon paint cans I replace the metal lid with an Aqua-Tainer Super Lid.  It's a plastic lid that has a hinged flip top.  The top has an integrated pour spot and the bottom part of the lid that snaps onto your can has a ledge that allows you to wipe off excess paint as well as gives you a place to rest your brush.  Dried paint peels right off the plastic and the lid does a good job of preserving the paint even after months of storage.  I used those lids exclusively when I painted my house from a ladder.  Paint doesn't easily splash out of the can because of the lid and it was nice to have the brush resting on the ledge rather than submerged in the can while I went up and down the ladder.

https://www.amazon.com/Aqua-Tainer-Super...5655&psc=1

For smaller cans, maybe someone needs to invent a can lid that has a removable center or a can lid that just has a hole in the middle.  This way the lid stays engaged in the rim and no paint can get in there and the overhang can serve as a place to wipe off excess finish.

Cool  idea for the messy ones.

I never have that problem.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

I just take a nail and pierce a bunch of holes under the lid.  The paint drains into the can.

I have taken to taping a color swatch from the store to the bottom of the can.  I had one can and I needed more paint.  But the drips had obscured the color (ready-mixed).
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
I punch holes, but pour the paint in another container for brushing. Keeps the junk a brush may pick up out of the paint too.
(07-23-2018, 02:38 PM)daddo Wrote: I punch holes, but pour the paint in another container for brushing. Keeps the junk a brush may pick up out of the paint too.

I do too.  I use one of these.  It allows one hand hold, cleans easily and is fairly cheap.  Small paint rollers work with it also. It has a holder for the brush inside the container.  Very handy.

[Image: wooster-paint-buckets-lids-0b87200000-64_1000.jpg]
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.