Emmert vise find and question
Came across a find yesterday that followed me home:

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmmNgPuV

I'm assuming this is complete as far as I can tell (minus the wooden handle).  Doesn't appear to be any rewelding done but I'll know more when I go to clean it.  Also, how should I go about cleaning it?  I've never restored a vise before but I'm more than willing to take this on.  I'm assuming this is a K1 - are their different versions of the K1 that I can identify by markings?  Any idea on how I can determine the age of this?  

Thanks in advance.
(07-20-2018, 11:19 AM)greatscott Wrote: Came across a find yesterday that followed me home:

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmmNgPuV

I'm assuming this is complete as far as I can tell (minus the wooden handle).  Doesn't appear to be any rewelding done but I'll know more when I go to clean it.  Also, how should I go about cleaning it?  I've never restored a vise before but I'm more than willing to take this on.  I'm assuming this is a K1 - are their different versions of the K1 that I can identify by markings?  Any idea on how I can determine the age of this?  

Thanks in advance.
It looks complete to me...Here's a link to The Iron Hand...you should be able to find all the answers you need concerning it...

I think sandblasting would be a good way to clean it but make sure to protect all threads..A good hammer coat paint would be nice...Most originals I have seen are gray in color. I have seen two that were black but may not have been original..The one I have is original and it is gray.

http://www.mprime.com/Emmert/index.htm
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

Nice find! I have had one for years and just picked up another that needs parts. Both were black and original paint judging by the chipped areas and wear on the paint.
(07-20-2018, 11:19 AM)greatscott Wrote: Came across a find yesterday that followed me home:

[Image: 41722242020_7bce7fb35a_z.jpg]IMG_0672 by ccscott23, on Flickr

[Image: 41722241570_b4bfbd9b62_z.jpg]IMG_0670 by ccscott23, on Flickr

[Image: 42625866255_8d0b642df2_z.jpg]IMG_0673 by ccscott23, on Flickr

[Image: 42625865305_00809e66b2_z.jpg]IMG_0671 by ccscott23, on Flickr

Thanks in advance.

Pics added for clarity.

That's a great find! And it looks like it's in great shape, despite a little surface rust.  I haven't restored a vise either, so I'm looking forward to the final product.
Smile
Steve S.
------------------------------------------------------
Tradition cannot be inherited, and if you want it you must obtain it by great labour.
- T. S. Eliot

Tutorials and Build-Alongs at The Literary Workshop
Stick it in the bath tub and throw two cups of citric acid into hot water and let it soak for thirty minutes. Then rub it clean and use a penetrating oil like orange oil or mineral oil all over the vise to keep the parts lubricated. Nice find. Don't blame if you have a ring stain around your tub though. haha

Mike
Very nice find.

If you take it apart, take more pictures at each and every stage of disassembly.

There are more ways to re-assemble than you would expect and few of them are correct.

Jack's pointer to the Iron Hand site is a good recommendation.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
(07-20-2018, 12:49 PM)Timberwolf Wrote: ...........
It looks complete to me...Here's a link to The Iron Hand...you should be able to find all the answers you need concerning it...

I think sandblasting would be a good way to clean it but make sure to protect all threads..A good hammer coat paint would be nice...Most originals I have seen are gray in color. I have seen two that were black but may not have been original..The one I have is original and it is gray.

http://www.mprime.com/Emmert/index.htm

Thanks for the link!  I'll be sure to post pictures of this restore but I first have to finish my bench.
Sometimes, less is more. It doesn't seem to be in very rough shape at all, as as was noted, disassembly has its own downsides. Cleaning, lube and coat of wax might be enough.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
(07-22-2018, 04:03 PM)Admiral Wrote: Sometimes, less is more.  It doesn't seem to be in very rough shape at all, as as was noted, disassembly has its own downsides.  Cleaning, lube and coat of wax might be enough.

Cleaning, lube and coat of wax might be enough.

Totally agree...Sometimes it's nice to preserve all those "battle scars" that the years of service have produced...It just reminds me that the old guy has been around the block a few times at 100 years of age and is still standing proud..Celebrate it !!!!
Big Grin
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset