Screw/Bolt Storage
(07-22-2018, 08:43 AM)Admiral Wrote: You guys are out of my league; I'm still using cigar boxes (Antonio y Cleopatra Grenadier, the old white design) that my father saved and filled (he passed in '92) with "small," "medium" and "large" written on the outside, one for each type of fastener.  I must have 30 of them.  Strangely, it never takes me more than 3 or 4 minutes to find the size I need......

Yes
Laugh
Winkgrin
Winkgrin
Winkgrin  And, do you have them stacked on shelves, in boxes, and all over the bench(es)? I have all this garage space now--still not enough--and can't plan outside of the little boxes they lived in all my life. My labels: Common sizes I recognize; Outdoor Timber; Wood screws; Brassies.... Why do I collect extra "free screws" and hardware from Honey-do projects. 

Looking at Hank's picture, I can guess he does not live in earthquake country. Those things fling objects like they are horse whips.
Coffee cans, true old metal ones, stored on shelves and some in drawers.
And a lot of my fasteners are kept in the original boxes, in drawers.

And for the main screws that I use the most, I have one of those HF small bolt turn tables under my workbench on a shelf.
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(07-22-2018, 10:27 AM)Stwood_ Wrote: Coffee cans, true old metal ones, stored on shelves and some in drawers.
And a lot of my fasteners are kept in the original boxes, in drawers.

And for the main screws that I use the most, I have one of those HF small bolt turn tables under my workbench on a shelf.

Something you might not be aware of is those cans are worth money today.  No idea why but people are paying for coffee cans and cigar boxes.  
You can find Hummels selling for less at estate sales
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

(07-22-2018, 11:06 AM)Bob10 Wrote: Something you might not be aware of is those cans are worth money today.  No idea why but people are paying for coffee cans and cigar boxes.  
You can find Hummels selling for less at estate sales

Cool  I've got an easy hundred metal cans.
Laugh  1# and 3#
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(07-22-2018, 09:54 AM)hbmcc Wrote:
Yes
Laugh
Winkgrin
Winkgrin
Winkgrin  And, do you have them stacked on shelves, in boxes, and all over the bench(es)?

Actually, I moved twice for work, and when they moved my bride's grandfather clock, the movers built a crate for it each time.  I put in some shelves in each one and thats where the boxes go, along with other things.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
I got a few of the Harbor Freight storage boxes.   Dewalt, Stanley and others make similar ones.   Festool makes some expensive ones. They come in a standard size, then a half-width, half depth, and double height size in addition.   I like the HF ones best as they inserts are little boxes that you can both re-arrange or remove and move to your work area.   I made some boxes that they fit in like drawers.

I put a piece of tape on the handle and label contents, e.g.,  #8 screws, 1/4" nut and bolts, door hardware, pocket hole screws, etc.

[Image: 93928_I.jpg]
The problem I have with the big racks are they tend to collect sawdust, not easily re-arranged or re-sorted (say you add or delete a given item), and they are not portable to the work area or job site.
I too have multiple hobbies and so have a lot of supplies and other "grubble" to store.   When it comes to fasteners, simply sort by diameter, be it any type of screws or bolts.  No further sorting, so if I need a 3/8" bolt, pull that tray and start looking.   Works pretty well.  Bolts start at 1/4" and progress to 3/4".  Other drawers have plumbing, hose clamps, spring clamps, batteries, Tools for power tools and spare parts for same, adhesives, reloading supplies, and so forth.

This Cab was my first WW project and it shows, and although crude by the lowest of standards, its taken a beating for almost 20 years now without one whimper.   It was built mostly from scraps, and you can easily see the construction techniques (?) in the pics, and the only thing I'll add is that all joints were also glued, in addition to nails or deck screws.   Basically "Trays in pigeon holes". 

There is easily 500 to a thousand pounds of "stuff" in this old step back cabinet. Click on the pictures to see more info. 

[Image: FirstShopCab-L.jpg]

Hope this helps.

[Image: P1010001-L.jpg]
bhh I got a few of the Harbor Freight storage boxes.   Dewalt, Stanley and others make similar ones.   Festool makes some expensive ones. They come in a standard size, then a half-width, half depth, and double height size in addition.   I like the HF ones best as they inserts are little boxes that you can both re-arrange or remove and move to your work area.   I made some boxes that they fit in like drawers.
[quote pid='7647156' dateline='1532367913']

I put a piece of tape on the handle and label contents, e.g.,  #8 screws, 1/4" nut and bolts, door hardware, pocket hole screws, etc.

[Image: 93928_I.jpg]
The problem I have with the big racks are they tend to collect sawdust, not easily re-arranged or re-sorted (say you add or delete a given item),  and they are not portable to the work area or job site.
[/quote]

The new Harbor Freight Catalog (came in today's mail) has a Coupon to get these at $5.99

Here's my solution. A mixture of clear containers, 2 or 3 different sizes. I put labels on the front.

Attached Files Image(s)

I no longer build museums but don't want to change my name. My new job is a lot less stressful. Life is much better.

Garry
For a guy with a mahogany cabinet for all the saw blades, this is hardly acceptable.

Laugh
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.