Cedar, cedar, and more cedar...

Cedar is all over this rebuild of a stair railing. The original was steel tube that finally rusted through. That's what the replacement should be too. But, I don't always make the decisions...... The design matches more entrance steps and the rear deck. 

I used three species of cedar. The Alaska Yellow Cedar posts (green) were rejected and replaced by clear Western Red Cedar (Kiln Dried) at twice the cost. I know and trust WRC. Pulled some random 1x4 fence pickets to use as rail templates, then installed better WRC, and; ripped off the ones facing the stairs and used really nice 1-inch Incense Cedar that is polished smooth--from my special stash.  The smooth wood prevents snagging dress fabric. The over-size cap piece is green 2x4 Alaska cedar that will be shaped for hand use. Alaska cedar wears to a polished silver finish. Right now, it needs to air dry and will be well cinched to the rails so it won't turn pretzel. Kris won't be happy with extra painted end material.

The post base is really expensive Simpson Strong Tie. But flimsy. I used 5-inch, 5/8ths all thread with 4-inch bedding in concrete and epoxy adhesive. Returned the rinky-dink decorative lag screws and eyeballed the half-inch, off set, side holes for 3/8ths bolts. Somehow, got the lightning fast epoxy and barely had time to squish the rod into the concrete, so the bases are catty-whom-pus. 

Will stain now and then paint in latex next summer. Paint tends to flake over new and smooth cedar.

[I could have put this in hand tools. I just used tailed and battery run drills. The only way to drill concrete is with a rotary hammer. Used a block plane and pull saws.]
It really is quite nice. Never heard of the Alaskan Cedar (or the Incense Cedar) before.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(07-23-2018, 05:26 AM)fredhargis Wrote: It really is quite nice. Never heard of the Alaskan Cedar (or the Incense Cedar) before.

Cupressus nootkatensis is the cypress referred to as Alaskan Cedar, or, some places, yellow cedar. Calocedrus decurrens, a relative in the Cypress family, goes by Incense Cedar. 

Note, as with all American "cedar(s)", they ain't. 
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.