My First Humidor
(08-13-2018, 11:51 AM)BrokenOlMarine Wrote: Thanks
I hope I don't end up doing another soon. 
Big Grin

I hear ya....on a side note...you're project has inspired me to get my crap together and try to finish the one I started years ago....so thank you....and I hate you.
Wink
The good news is...

Tracking shows my package arrived at my Marine's home and his wife (a guess) signed for it.
I expect a call or text this evening when he gets home to open it. 
Smile
Jim in Okie
You can tell a lot about the character of a man -
By the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.
The tale is done. I got a series of texts from my former Marine protege yesterday evening, and the humidor has taken it's place on the side table in his home office.  He is very happy with the result, and really... that's all that I was concerned with. 
Big Grin
Jim in Okie
Not surprised, he got a really nice box.

One reason I like making finer things is that it forces me to slow down. I get better that way, and that feels good. I can tell you know this.
Lumber Logs, domestic hardwoods at wholesale prices: http://www.woodfinder.com/listings/012869.php

Lumber Logs' blog: Follow the adventure
(08-16-2018, 09:05 PM)TomFromStLouis Wrote: Not surprised, he got a really nice box.

One reason I like making finer things is that it forces me to slow down. I get better that way, and that feels good.  I can tell you know this.

I take my time and try and make things fit.  I like to try to use hand tools as much as I can.  I like the sound of the whispers in the silence.  Handtool addicts will know what I mean. 
Wink  I like the challenge of blending two contrasting woods together, seamlessly, by hand. 
Smirk
Jim in Okie
I recently built my first humidor, and am starting to fill it with boxes of cigars.  I am using 320g Boveda packs and example by Mantello 100 https://coolerexp.com/best-cigar-humidors-review/  to regulate humidity (which seem to work great).  A question for you cigar shamen:  when placing a recently purchased box into the humi, what is a typical impact to the relative humidity?  Will the boxes absorb humidity, making the Bovedas “work harder” to maintain the desired state?  This humi will hold maybe 125-150 sticks.

Some details, for anyone who is curious/bored:
Peruvian walnut exterior
Spanish cedar lining
Sugar maple spline joints
About 18” x 14” x 10”
Hinges were purchased from this box maker guy in the UK...the man is a true artist.
Kinda been on a minimalist phase lately, focusing on simple lines, clean function.  

[Image: 1B0347DD-359B-4B4B-A24B-4671C2F680B1.thu...f2772.jpeg]

[Image: 7B7CD198-11B5-45C2-8C94-E39F2BC95C10.thu...39e8f.jpeg]

[Image: ADEA593B-7D28-4185-9DC2-1ADB95510B62.thu...bb9bb.jpeg]
That's a nice looking humidor.  I'd be proud to display that on my desk.  Nice work.
Very nice work Xoestorido. You should start your own thread for this.
Yup, very nice. Love the contrast.
Jim in Okie