Band Saw in Twilight Zone
I Can't explain this, but it's true. "Believe it or Not"

I just finished resawing a log and it did push the limits of my bandsaw, but made it threw just fine. After the cut was complete, I figured to clean up the bandsaw because it was a wet sappy log. As per my usual ritual, the first thing I do, is grab my dry lubricant spray and run the bandsaw while I spray the blade as it runs. Just when I was about to turn off the bandsaw, the machine goes "Clang" and the blade is instantly stopped.

I turn off the power and start to examine the problem. As I start I'm thinking that I've experienced my first ever broken blade and was wondering how odd, since there was no pressure on the blade. However, the blade appears unbroken, but has somehow slipped off the drive wheel.

After removing ALL of the tensioning pressure off, I find that I can not get the blade on both wheels. I'm not kidding. Even with zero tension and assuring the top wheel is all the way down (on its sliding track), the blade will not go on.

Right now, I'm taking a break and will go look at it again, soon.

What do you guys think?  Should I call "Ripley's".
You don't mention brand or size and age of the bandsaw.

Could be due to too much lunricant.

What type tires on the wheel? Loose worn out wheel whether from age or lubricant could also be the problem.
Bill
Bill, I didn't think it mattered because there had to be a logical reason why it is. However, I got the blade back on okay. I don't know what caused my problem. It had to be binding on something that I didn't see, even though I checked and checked before.

I think you're right about the lubricant causing the failure to begin with. I didn't have the blade centered and the lubricant enabled the blade to slide off. (At least, that's what I think)
(07-24-2018, 01:35 PM)MidwestMan Wrote:  Should I call "Ripley's".

Yes
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Had a friend that happened to and he could not figure out why the blade nor any other blade would fit.

Taking apart the top end a piece fell down and would not allow the tension to be backed off properly.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
I think it's time you buy a MiniMax
Cellulose runs through my veins!
(07-24-2018, 01:35 PM)MidwestMan Wrote: After removing ALL of the tensioning pressure off, I find that I can not get the blade on both wheels.

If it's a Delta style 14" saw, take a look at the tensioning mechanism at the back of the saw.  The block that rides up and down to adjust the tension is probably jammed in its channel.  Get it loose, and you are probably fine.

Edit: I notice now you have it working again. Maybe the block worked itself loose.
(07-25-2018, 12:34 PM)Alan S Wrote: If it's a Delta style 14" saw, take a look at the tensioning mechanism at the back of the saw.  The block that rides up and down to adjust the tension is probably jammed in its channel.  Get it loose, and you are probably fine.

Edit:  I notice now you have it working again.  Maybe the block worked itself loose.

Yep this is the part I meant. 
Yes
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
When the problem happened initially... one of the first things I checked was that the "top wheel" did indeed slide down within the track, which it did.

The blade must have binded in some area, and somehow I didn't notice it. That's all I can think of.

FWIW, it's a Rigid Bandsaw w/riser installed.
I had the same problem on an 18" bandsaw.  I had thrown the blade when unloaded but the root cause was the tire on the top wheel.  I put it back on ran OK then as soon as I turned off machine happened again and threw the blade again.

The tire came loose from the wheel and when unloaded is expanded enough to throw the blade.  Replaced the tires and have not had a problem since.

HB