Bow Front Table Class - Canterbury NH
I decided that I wanted to increase my woodworking skill and knowledge so I decided that I would invest in my education with a class.  I opted for the bowfront table class available from Epic Woodworking, because I wanted to learn how to bend wood as that skill opens up a lot of possibilities for future projects.  The instructor was fantastic and his shop was great to be in, and the other classmates were great too!  

Tom McLaughlin teaching the class:

[Image: uryG6brNSsCAiavDQ7xTyA_zpsloykopql.jpg]

And this is what I brought home:

[Image: FSHHBGSlTBWgYdF2Xukdw_zpsseamgvan.jpg]

I just have a little more surface prep that I would like to do and then I will finish it.  They even provided the finish for the project.

[Image: JeX34FBQmuqc7KIRcMgcA_zpsh7djcb6b.jpg]

I am thinking I might want to try a chairmaking class next year!

John
Formerly known as John's Woodshop
(07-24-2018, 02:27 PM)Belle City Woodworking Wrote: I decided that I wanted to increase my woodworking skill and knowledge so I decided that I would invest in my education with a class.  I opted for the bowfront table class available from Epic Woodworking, because I wanted to learn how to bend wood as that skill opens up a lot of possibilities for future projects.  The instructor was fantastic and his shop was great to be in, and the other classmates were great too!  
The table looks great!

Photos below from the Epic web site.

Did you use that band saw in the background?

[Image: CraftsmanRockingChairClass-0216d-w-e1459211399211.jpg]
[Image: Bow-Front-Table-0805-002-e1459211536277.jpg]
(07-24-2018, 03:14 PM)WilliamHodge Wrote: The table looks great!

Photos below from the Epic web site.

Did you use that band saw in the background?

[Image: CraftsmanRockingChairClass-0216d-w-e1459211399211.jpg]
[Image: Bow-Front-Table-0805-002-e1459211536277.jpg]
Thank you William!

No, we used the Felder, that class was pre television set.  That bandsaw was still there but we did not use it.
Nice! I try to choose projects that will challenge my skills and force me to master (or at least learn) a new skill.
 For me, that is what keeps my job interesting. I have paid my dues making hundreds of stairs and thousands of cabinets. 

There are many methods for bending/forming wood. Which did you use in the class?
Ralph Bagnall
www.woodcademy.com
Watch Woodcademy TV free on our website.
(07-27-2018, 05:37 PM)handi Wrote: Nice! I try to choose projects that will challenge my skills and force me to master (or at least learn) a new skill.
 For me, that is what keeps my job interesting. I have paid my dues making hundreds of stairs and thousands of cabinets. 

There are many methods for bending/forming wood. Which did you use in the class?

We used bent lamination.
I'd love to take a class from Tom. I really enjoy his presentation style on Rough Cut. He always seems relaxed and is very talented.
(07-30-2018, 07:13 AM)FrankAtl Wrote: I'd love to take a class from Tom. I really enjoy his presentation style on Rough Cut. He always seems relaxed and is very talented.
He is the same while teaching.  It was a blast to be in his shop!  

I am self taught basically but I have been at it for a long time and have picked up a lot along the way, but he taught me so much in just 4 days I can't wait to go back next year.  I want to take a chair making class next.

I may try to take a class at Marc Adams school too since it is much closer to where I live :
Smile But with the beautiful country, the great food, and the great class, I don't mind the long drive to Tom's Shop!

John
(07-30-2018, 08:50 AM)Belle City Woodworking Wrote: He is the same while teaching.  It was a blast to be in his shop!  

I am self taught basically but I have been at it for a long time and have picked up a lot along the way, but he taught me so much in just 4 days I can't wait to go back next year.  I want to take a chair making class next.

I may try to take a class at Marc Adams school too since it is much closer to where I live :
Smile But with the beautiful country, the great food, and the great class, I don't mind the long drive to Tom's Shop!

John
 Interesting. I live in the next town to Canterbury. Didn't know about this shop but I don't do woodworking anymore. When I lived in Maine I was in the next town to Lie-Nielsen and never went there.
Very
Cool...........
Excellent work on the table.
Yes