oil finish
This may be a dumb question but, can you apply boiled linseed oil over MinWax stains?
(07-25-2018, 11:03 AM)Stamper Wrote: This may be a dumb question but, can you apply boiled linseed oil over MinWax stains?

I think the answer would be yes.  But why would you want to?
If you are going down a river at 2 mph and your canoe loses a wheel, how much pancake mix would you need to shingle your roof?

(07-25-2018, 12:04 PM)Bill Wilson Wrote: I think the answer would be yes.  But why would you want to?

@ Stamper - I'd agree w/ Bill - I've used BLO by itself over bare wood but more often in the 1/3 mixture, i.e. BLO, Poly, Naphtha (or Mineral spirits). I believe some more information would be helpful: 1) What Minwax 'stain' are you using, e.g. the gels are oil solutions, water based stains are offered, and the polyshades have color w/ poly, the latter defeating the purpose of using BLO if the pores are already filled; and 2) What are you trying to accomplished w/ the BLO - the combination may not come our 'right' and the oil provides no protection - how will your project be used?  Dave
Smile
Piedmont North Carolina
Putting MinWax Golden Oak (regular stain) on some red oak,like the color. Am making 6 pack carriers and want to use to BLO because of moisture off of beer bottles....
(07-25-2018, 01:26 PM)Stamper Wrote: putting MinWax Golden Oak on some red oak,like the color. Am making 6 pack carriers and want to use to BLO because of moisture off of beer bottles....

I don't think BLO offers much in the way of protection against the condensation from the bottles.  I would consider a top coat, such as an oil varnish or polyuretane.

I believe that oil based MinWax stain is BLO based, so there is already BLO in it.  Adding more likely won't gain you much of anything.
If you are going down a river at 2 mph and your canoe loses a wheel, how much pancake mix would you need to shingle your roof?

(07-25-2018, 01:29 PM)Bill Wilson Wrote: I don't think BLO offers much in the way of protection against the condensation from the bottles.  I would consider a top coat, such as an oil varnish or polyuretane.

I believe that oil based MinWax stain is BLO based, so there is already BLO in it.  Adding more likely won't gain you much of anything.

1+  - again I'd agree w/ Bill, i.e. BLO offers no water protection - you'll need a film finish, as suggested.  Of course, you could have gone w/ a Minwax PolyShade and gotten both the color desired along w/ a satin or gloss polyurethane finish - Dave
Smile

Attached Files Image(s)

Piedmont North Carolina
Thanks for all the help. Will have to rethink my plans.
Are you looking for a rustic finish? A oil finish that might work for you is Minwax Antique Oil finish. It has an alkyd varnish in it and easy to apply.

Regardless of the finish you use, let the stain dry for a few day, then apply the top coat. You may still get some of the stain lifting unless your spraying a top coat