Cleaning old wooden furniture?
Goalie’s girl friend was given an old family piece. Secretary desk on one side, glasses display case on the other. It is in generally good shape. She has been using Murphy’s Oil Soap and a tooth brush to clean it, but the result is a gummy/waxy finish

Fromby’s Build Up Restorer??

Some home made mix??

TSP??

They do not want to refinish it, just clean it and hopefully end up with a good looking end result

Thanks in advance

Well, some pics would help to show the condition of the piece - 
Yes

Do you know the wood(s) used and the original finish, e.g. varnish, shellac, or other?  There are ways to test, if needed.  But for starters, a wipe down w/ naphtha or mineral spirits (lightly damp cloth) will remove wax, silicone, dirt, etc.  Can then go from there depending whether the appearance is acceptable.  Dave
Smile
Piedmont North Carolina
I've had good results cleaning kitchen cabinets (red oak) using Swiffer wet pads.  They are fine on wood surfaces and they seem to work really well.  Smells OK.  But wear gloves or you hands will smell like a wood floor when you go to eat dinner.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
(07-25-2018, 12:52 PM)giradman Wrote: Well, some pics would help to show the condition of the piece - 
Yes

Do you know the wood(s) used and the original finish, e.g. varnish, shellac, or other?  There are ways to test, if needed.  But for starters, a wipe down w/ naphtha or mineral spirits (lightly damp cloth) will remove wax, silicone, dirt, etc.  Can then go from there depending whether the appearance is acceptable.  Dave
Smile

^^^^

John
(07-25-2018, 12:39 PM)goaliedad Wrote: Goalie’s girl friend was given an old family piece. Secretary desk on one side, glasses display case on the other. It is in generally good shape. She has been using Murphy’s Oil Soap and a tooth brush to clean it, but the result is a gummy/waxy finish

Fromby’s Build Up Restorer??

Some home made mix??

TSP??

They do not want to refinish it, just clean it and hopefully end up with a good looking end result

Thanks in advance

i use mineral spirits and either 3m pads or 4 ought steel wool if it is really bad.   Keep things wet so you don't scratch things up anymore.  I gave up trying to use murphys oil or anything  tame.  It just takes to long and the mineral spirits isn't too harsh.  It works best to get all  the wax and pledge type stuff off.  Keep wiping the piece off with a rag or paper towels so you aren't just swirling the old pledge junk around.  Like I said I use mineral spirits on everything and it doesn't matter what the old finish is ms isn't going to hurt anything.  It sure cuts the cleaning time down and reminds you not to use wax or pledge type products on furniture.