New motor for lathe - need help!
Hey Everyone,

Sorry for the lack of replies, I've been away from the computer for a while.  I ended up going with a new Leeson 1/2 HP that I purchased from Electric Motor Wholesale online.  I'm working on getting it up and running now, but it looks like it will "plug and play" in place of the old one.

Thanks for all of the advice.

Ben
(08-08-2018, 02:29 PM)KCwoodman Wrote: Hey Everyone,

Sorry for the lack of replies, I've been away from the computer for a while.  I ended up going with a new Leeson 1/2 HP that I purchased from Electric Motor Wholesale online.  I'm working on getting it up and running now, but it looks like it will "plug and play" in place of the old one.

Thanks for all of the advice.

Ben

Please keep the old motor. Just in case someone down the line wants to rewind it and return the lathe to it's original condition.

I cannot forgive those who threw away the burned out custom frame Asea two speed motor (Dahlander wired) for my spindle moulder (that's shaper to Americans). Rewinding it would have been a nice little hobby project with at least some prospect of success.......

Now I am stuck with fabricating a custom made mount to fit a standard Strömberg motor and powering that motor through a Vacon frequency converter. It took me a year of scrounging just to find the parts.
Part timer living on the western coast of Finland. Not a native speaker of English
Yes, by all means, do not throw away vintage motors. Some out there will buy it running or not and have it reworked at any cost. Those motors are disappearing.
(07-26-2018, 07:46 PM)barryvabeach Wrote: .............................................

The one thing to avoid is a motor that requires 3 phase.
unless of course you want to go the VFD route.
I picked up a HF motor off the opened item rack recently. The store employee who put it on the shelf happened to be coming out of the bathroom, and told me most were display units. Sure, he could have been blowing smoke up the old keister, but he seemed pretty adimant lol.
Benny

(08-18-2018, 06:41 PM)daddo Wrote: Yes, by all means, do not throw away vintage motors. Some out there will buy it running or not and have it reworked at any cost. Those motors are disappearing.

If this is true, I did see the following ad yesterday.

https://madison.craigslist.org/tls/d/two...87390.html

Pedro
I miss nested quotes..........
(08-30-2018, 09:50 AM)PedroOhare Wrote: If this is true, I did see the following ad yesterday.

https://madison.craigslist.org/tls/d/two...87390.html

Pedro

As a rule old motors are and should be cheap........ but when you are rebuilding a machine and looking for that particular motor needed to make it just right then it is worth a lot to you which makes a total reving perfectly viable.
Part timer living on the western coast of Finland. Not a native speaker of English
(07-25-2018, 05:17 PM)KCwoodman Wrote: So the motor on my lathe bit the dust the other day.  Two estimates to repair it are beyond what its worth.  I'm looking to find a replacement motor but I'm not sure what all I should be considering as my knowledge of motors is far less than my knowledge of woodworking in general.  Here are the specs from the side of the motor plate:

Phase: 1
RPM: 1725
Volts: 115
Frame: Y56
Type: CSS
Horsepower: 1/2

I still have the old 4 step pulley from the old motor and I'm guessing I could easily mount it to a new motor.  The old motor did mount from an attached bracket (possibly a standard) from the underside of the lathe bed table.  It is suspended from a hinge that allows the weight of the motor to tension the belt.  It is an old (circa 1980) Rockwell lathe that belonged to my grandfather and I would love to get it up and running again.  If not, I'll have to scrap it for something newer, smaller, and nowhere near as cool.

Thanks for any/all advice or tips you guys have.

Ben
I don't know how good this is but have considered it since I only do small thing.

https://www.pennstateind.com/store/TCLVSKIT.html
John

Always use the right tool for the job.

We need to clean house.
I'm going to take this one apart and clean it up- maybe replace the bearings. 1 hp single phase 230/120v TE reversible that came with an old 40's milling machine I'm rebuilding/refurbing. Must weigh 40-50 lbs.

[Image: 5MPZRwS.jpg]

Check out this reverse solenoid/contact setup- must have been 3 phase at one time.
 Has push buttons.

[Image: 6DGEljT.jpg]