New motor for lathe - need help!
So the motor on my lathe bit the dust the other day.  Two estimates to repair it are beyond what its worth.  I'm looking to find a replacement motor but I'm not sure what all I should be considering as my knowledge of motors is far less than my knowledge of woodworking in general.  Here are the specs from the side of the motor plate:

Phase: 1
RPM: 1725
Volts: 115
Frame: Y56
Type: CSS
Horsepower: 1/2

I still have the old 4 step pulley from the old motor and I'm guessing I could easily mount it to a new motor.  The old motor did mount from an attached bracket (possibly a standard) from the underside of the lathe bed table.  It is suspended from a hinge that allows the weight of the motor to tension the belt.  It is an old (circa 1980) Rockwell lathe that belonged to my grandfather and I would love to get it up and running again.  If not, I'll have to scrap it for something newer, smaller, and nowhere near as cool.

Thanks for any/all advice or tips you guys have.

Ben
Must be a bad week for motors.

Our Harbor Freight has several 1750 rpm, 56 frame motors in stock so yours probably does too. Just take the pulley with you to be sure of the shaft size.

I saw them there yesterday when I was looking for a new motor for my table saw but they didn't have the right speed for me.
We do segmented turning, not because it is easy, but because it is hard.
How about Surplus Center or Surplus Industrial Supply. Just examples
Was living the good retired life on the Lake. Now just living retired.
(07-25-2018, 05:17 PM)KCwoodman Wrote: So the motor on my lathe bit the dust the other day.  Two estimates to repair it are beyond what its worth.  I'm looking to find a replacement motor but I'm not sure what all I should be considering as my knowledge of motors is far less than my knowledge of woodworking in general.  Here are the specs from the side of the motor plate:

Phase: 1
RPM: 1725
Volts: 115
Frame: Y56
Type: CSS
Horsepower: 1/2

I still have the old 4 step pulley from the old motor and I'm guessing I could easily mount it to a new motor.  The old motor did mount from an attached bracket (possibly a standard) from the underside of the lathe bed table.  It is suspended from a hinge that allows the weight of the motor to tension the belt.  It is an old (circa 1980) Rockwell lathe that belonged to my grandfather and I would love to get it up and running again.  If not, I'll have to scrap it for something newer, smaller, and nowhere near as cool.

Thanks for any/all advice or tips you guys have.

Ben

The existence of the "Y" in the frame size means it has a special mounting, but says nothing about what makes it special.  But the "56" portion means it's shaft center is 3-1/2" from the base (fifty six sixteenths of an inch, for two-digit frame sizes), but the bolt pattern dimensions and location from the shoulder of the shaft might be different.  But no matter what it is, a standard 56-frame motor should be adaptable, or possibly fit right out of the box.

For a hobbyist lathe, an inexpensive HF motor, or one from a scrap pile for that matter, should be fine.  Just match speed (1725 rpm, or if you can find one, 1140 rpm), direction (not all are reversible), and shaft size.  The bolt pattern may require a couple of new holes, but I'm betting not.

My lathe is a 1944 Delta, also from my grandfather (it worked in a Singer war plant in NJ, then followed my grandfather home at the end of the war), and so far 4 generations have turned on it.  Hopefully, I can teach my granddaughter to turn when she's a little older (she's 2-1/2
Laugh ).  Mine has had at least 4 motors on it since I started using it when I was in elementary school, one of which was a two-speed from a 50's exercise bike.  Loved that lower low speed.

It shouldn't be hard to find a motor to keep yours going for the next generation or two.

Edit:  HF 1/2 hp vented motor, capacitor-start (stay away from split-phase; weak starting, especially when belted for high spindle speeds), 4-pole which means it's 1800 rpm synchronous, 1725 rpm full-load speed, and 5/8" shaft.  Reversible.  Doesn't say frame size, but you can measure for 3-1/2" shaft to mounting plate distance, or if different, belt is adjustable and/or replaceable anyway.  

https://www.harborfreight.com/12-hp-gene...67839.html

Or check Craig's List for a used 1/2 hp or larger motor.  One advantage of CL over ebay is that you can see it run, but you never know what condition it's really in until you run it under load and get it hot.
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
(07-26-2018, 06:13 AM)TDKPE Wrote: The existence of the "Y" in the frame size means it has a special mounting, but says nothing about what makes it special.  But the "56" portion means it's shaft center is 3-1/2" from the base (fifty six sixteenths of an inch, for two-digit frame sizes), but the bolt pattern dimensions and location from the shoulder of the shaft might be different.  But no matter what it is, a standard 56-frame motor should be adaptable, or possibly fit right out of the box.

For a hobbyist lathe, an inexpensive HF motor, or one from a scrap pile for that matter, should be fine.  Just match speed (1725 rpm, or if you can find one, 1140 rpm), direction (not all are reversible), and shaft size.  The bolt pattern may require a couple of new holes, but I'm betting not.

My lathe is a 1944 Delta, also from my grandfather (it worked in a Singer war plant in NJ, then followed my grandfather home at the end of the war), and so far 4 generations have turned on it.  Hopefully, I can teach my granddaughter to turn when she's a little older (she's 2-1/2
Laugh ).  Mine has had at least 4 motors on it since I started using it when I was in elementary school, one of which was a two-speed from a 50's exercise bike.  Loved that lower low speed.

It shouldn't be hard to find a motor to keep yours going for the next generation or two.

Edit:  HF 1/2 hp vented motor, capacitor-start (stay away from split-phase; weak starting, especially when belted for high spindle speeds), 4-pole which means it's 1800 rpm synchronous, 1725 rpm full-load speed, and 5/8" shaft.  Reversible.  Doesn't say frame size, but you can measure for 3-1/2" shaft to mounting plate distance, or if different, belt is adjustable and/or replaceable anyway.  

https://www.harborfreight.com/12-hp-gene...67839.html

Or check Craig's List for a used 1/2 hp or larger motor.  One advantage of CL over ebay is that you can see it run, but you never know what condition it's really in until you run it under load and get it hot.

I just changed the motor on my 1954 Delta Milwaukee model 1460. I decided to go high tech and put in a 230/460v 3 phase motor with a  variable frequency inverter drive. It is wonderful to be able to speed up or down with a simple turn of a knob. I purchased a 1 hp motor from amazon and the drive from Wolf automation. This was not a cheap change out. Since the motor shaft was larger it required a new step pulley. The center line of shaft was different and thus required a shim pad be made.

Bottom line is the lathe runs great and really happy to have infinite speed variability
Y frame is usually bracketed on each end of the motor, but is not specific to this.

Does it mount like this motor?
[Image: 4VAF9_AS02?%24mdmain%24]

You can still use this motor if the space is available. Check the shaft size. This one is 5/8"
 It is reversible. $117.00

[Image: image_14170.jpg]
https://shop.harborfreight.com/media/cat..._14170.jpg
Here are some single phase from 1/2 to 2 hp motors

http://www.grizzly.com/search?q=(2+AND+h...e+OR+motor)
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Ben,  where are you located? I think i have a 1/2 hp 1725 rpm frame 56 in my attic.  BTW, shipping would be prohibitive, it is heavy.   Since it mounts to a bracket and there is a pulley,  and 56 is a common size, you should have no trouble finding something used that will work.   While direction may be critical, it might be possible to mount it 180 degrees opposite, depending on the bracket, that would solve the direction issue.   As to rpm, you could always change out the pulley if what you find is 3,600 rpm. Same is true as to shaft size, just buy a pulley to match the shaft.

The one thing to avoid is a motor that requires 3 phase.
I think you should be able to find a used one, might take a little time, but they show up. You could also go up to maybe a 1 hp. If the "new" one is reversible, consider wiring it so it can be reversed using a switch. That has been on my to do list for years. I've heard it is pretty easy with a "three way switch", but someone with a more active brain will have to instruct you how. My lathe is an old Rockwell from 1973 when I was a freshman in HS. Not a lot of funding, no used ones to be found, so I mounted in on an old workbench until I could afford another $75.00 for a stand. We used a previous used motor and it is what I still run. You can pretty much mount most on them.
(07-25-2018, 05:17 PM)KCwoodman Wrote: So the motor on my lathe bit the dust the other day.  Two estimates to repair it are beyond what its worth.  I'm looking to find a replacement motor but I'm not sure what all I should be considering as my knowledge of motors is far less than my knowledge of woodworking in general.  

Lots of advice, but only two things of importance - shaft size to match the sheave you have (very important), less important, the proper 56 frame to reuse old mounts.  Don't need variable, that's what the sheaves are for, and they're more efficient than infinitely variable motors of equal HP rating.  Turned a dozen years on an old 12" Delta with a 1/2, including capacity bowls, and occasionally an outsized outboard piece. Doesn't take much energy to shave a piece, as human-powered lathes prove.  Don't need reverse, because the inboard is likely a right-hand thread for chucking, and final sanding cross-grain in reverse is a myth.  Final hand sanding is always along the grain, as all other woodwork is done. Power sanding is another matter. 

Do want to think of what you use for a belt.  I recommend what I found best - link-type.  That way you don't get the initial bounce from a belt that's set in shape from hanging the motor.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.