attaching wood to acrylic
I need to attach a piece of 1/8" BB ply to a sheet of acrylic.  I was thinking of using something like  construction adhesive.  This will be outside but not in the weather.

Anyone have any suggestions
Thanks
George
Silicone adhesive (not sealer) will work.

E6000 holds much stronger and is available at the big box stores.

There is going to be lots of surface area so strength is probably not going to be a factor.  Use a plastic notched spreader to evenly apply the adhesive.

Both the silicone adhesive and the E6000 are going to be far more waterproof than the baltic birch.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
(07-26-2018, 08:52 AM)George Wells Wrote: I need to attach a piece of 1/8" BB ply to a sheet of acrylic.  I was thinking of using something like  construction adhesive.  This will be outside but not in the weather.

Anyone have any suggestions

http://thistothat.com/
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
(07-26-2018, 10:50 AM)MichaelMouse Wrote: http://thistothat.com/

I find this a flawed resource.  It does not take into account any environmental conditions.

The plastic and plywood will be subject to large changes in temperature.  A flexible adhesive would be my preference in that situation.  I don't know if construction adhesive remains flexible. 

Both the silicone and the E6000 do.  

There might be other products that do also.
(07-26-2018, 10:58 AM)Cooler Wrote: I find this a flawed resource.  It does not take into account any environmental conditions.

The plastic and plywood will be subject to large changes in temperature.  A flexible adhesive would be my preference in that situation.  I don't know if construction adhesive remains flexible. 

Both the silicone and the E6000 do.  

There might be other products that do also.

I agree silicone would be the best.  It would also be best to know just what it will be used for outside that even just the wood could be rabbited on both sides and screwed on the sides also.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
The OP said 1/8” ply.
I doubt you’ll rabbit it.

E6000.
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.
I think 'this to that' is a push (shill?) for LePages......

[do i have the obligatory minimum?????]
Brush on some Elmers white glue, press and squeeze it out- seal the sides.

I've done it on a smaller scale- But if your project is larger and the ply expands more or less than the plastic (and it will), it could cause problems.

It would be better free floating.
(07-26-2018, 08:55 PM)daddo Wrote: Brush on some Elmers white glue, press and squeeze it out- seal the sides.

I've done it on a smaller scale- But if your project is larger and the ply expands more or less than the plastic (and it will), it could cause problems.

It would be better free floating.

Plywood features cross-grain plies to keep it dimensionally neutral, not anisotropic, like solid wood.  Most of the glues used in ply are not flexible, either.  

Just a couple of thoughts….
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
(07-27-2018, 06:51 AM)MichaelMouse Wrote: Plywood features cross-grain plies to keep it dimensionally neutral, not anisotropic, like solid wood.  Most of the glues used in ply are not flexible, either.  

Just a couple of thoughts….

You still have expansion and contraction due to the temperature.  

Many glues work well with porous materials.  The number of glues that work well with non-porous materials is much lower.  

Both silicone adhesives and E6000 remain flexible and both adhere to smooth surfaces well.  E6000 has a much stronger bond, but will a large surface area that might not be an issue. 

I used E6000 for jewelry assembly (Swarovski crystals bonded to metal findings, and blind drilled gem balls to metal findings) and I never had any bond failures.  It is my go to adhesive for non-porous materials, or situations where I need a strong flexible bond because I am bonding dissimilar materials.  (I've also used it to hem a pair of cargo pants and the bond held well for the life of the garment (laundered, not dry cleaned).