Repair or Replace
My Harbour Freight dust collector just died. I have had it for maybe 10 years but it was used only lightly since I have not been doing much in the last 4 years. I recently started back and it was running the other day and just stopped. I have checked to make sure nothing was lodged, etc. the blades spin freely so I am stumped. I have limited electrical experience so I am trying to decide if I find a small electric engine repair person or just buy a whole new unit.

Thoughts?
Five bucks says it's the power switch on the motor.  They have a reputation for letting go.  Open the switch box, and check for continuity (unplugged, of course) when in the 'on' position.  Or for line voltage if plugged in, but I assume you're not comfortable with working on live electrics.

Another option would be to bypass the switch temporarily and plug it in to see if it starts.

But I'm still betting on the switch being bad.
Yes

Edit: Mine still works after all these years, but the switch stays on and I control it with a remote switch, since my blower is on top of my cyclone, up in the joists.
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
(07-29-2018, 05:51 PM)TDKPE Wrote: Five bucks says it's the power switch on the motor.  They have a reputation for letting go.  Open the switch box, and check for continuity (unplugged, of course) when in the 'on' position.  Or for line voltage if plugged in, but I assume you're not comfortable with working on live electrics.

Another option would be to bypass the switch temporarily and plug it in to see if it starts.

Yes

Edit:  Mine still works after all these years, but the switch stays on and I control it with a remote switch, since my blower is on top of my cyclone, up in the joists.

+1
I don't have mine anymore , but the switch did fail .

If it can't kill you it probably ain't no good. Better living through chemicals.

(07-29-2018, 05:51 PM)TDKPE Wrote: Five bucks says it's the power switch on the motor.  They have a reputation for letting go.  Open the switch box, and check for continuity (unplugged, of course) when in the 'on' position.  Or for line voltage if plugged in, but I assume you're not comfortable with working on live electrics.

Yes

Edit:  Mine still works after all these years, but the switch stays on and I control it with a remote switch, since my blower is on top of my cyclone, up in the joists.

+1

If it doesn't start with the switch bypassed, replace the start cap on the motor. 99% its one of the two. 

I dont scrap anything out without going through the cheap, obvious fixes first.

Once Favre hangs it up though, it years of cellar dwelling for the Pack. (Geoff 12-18-07)  

(07-29-2018, 05:20 PM)Scott Jashinski Wrote: My Harbour Freight dust collector just died. I have had it for maybe 10 years but it was used only lightly since I have not been doing much in the last 4 years. I recently started back and it was running the other day and just stopped. I have checked to make sure nothing was lodged, etc. the blades spin freely so I am stumped. I have limited electrical experience so I am trying to decide if I find a small electric engine repair person or just buy a whole new unit.

Thoughts?

Did you check the plug to see if there is power?  May have tripped a breaker
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

I need to google the other suggestions but this one I understood and the first thing I checked.
(07-29-2018, 07:57 PM)Scott Jashinski Wrote: I need to google the other suggestions but this one I understood and the first thing I checked.

I control my HF with a remote control. Even though I hardly ever used it, the switch on mine died also. I just wired around it and continue to use the remote.
Telling a man he has too many tools,
is like telling a woman she has too many shoes.
Sounds like the verdict is to repair.
And buy a remote ?
I have had my HF 2HP DC for going on 15 years now. I'm on my 2nd switch and 3rd el cheapo remote. Both the switch and remotes are cheap fixes so definitely a repair is in order.