Going rate for walnut logs
My brother in law and sister in law are building a house on an acreage and cut down a bunch of walnut trees. They asked if I was interested in the logs. I have harvested trees before and had then milled but they were always off my own land so I never bought any. Does anyone know what the going rate is for say a 16"x10' log?
depends on the grade of the log and location.
that small diameter i dont think can get veneer grade prices,though.
(07-31-2018, 01:48 PM)tomsteve Wrote: depends on the grade of the log and location.
that small diameter i dont think can get veneer grade prices,though.

Nebraska. They are about 15 miles from the sawmill I normally use. Where do I start?
(07-31-2018, 02:28 PM)nosoup4u Wrote: Nebraska. They are about 15 miles from the sawmill I normally use. Where do I start?

id say call that sawmill. they should be up to date on log prices.
(07-31-2018, 12:38 PM)nosoup4u Wrote: My brother in law and sister in law are building a house on an acreage and cut down a bunch of walnut trees. They asked if I was interested in the logs. I have harvested trees before and had then milled but they were always off my own land so I never bought any. Does anyone know what the going rate is for say a 16"x10' log?

Well, if the stick is clean, and 16", you can figure the BF with the Doyle https://wunderwoods.wordpress.com/2011/1...-in-a-log/

The local mill will quote you a rate for sawing.  That's what a "free" log is worth to you.

Lose points for branch stubs, whether it was subject to nails and bullets or woods-grown. But if clean and 16 small, you might be able to sell it as a veneer log.  Ask the question from those who own the mill, and remember transport!
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
(07-31-2018, 12:38 PM)nosoup4u Wrote: My brother in law and sister in law are building a house on an acreage and cut down a bunch of walnut trees. They asked if I was interested in the logs. I have harvested trees before and had then milled but they were always off my own land so I never bought any. Does anyone know what the going rate is for say a 16"x10' log?

I sort of agree that logs are worthless.  The effort put into all the moving around, sawing, stickering, seasoning, etc is just so immense that the cost of the log is rather irrelevant.  No one on a small scale can get anywhere close to processing the logs the way a big mill would.

Now, if you can use some of the wood green, like a chair maker might, or simply cut them into timbers for future use as fireplace mantles or some such thing, where if they crack as they dry out it's not that big a problem, then it could be worthwhile.

I wouldn't be real excited about a 16" walnut log. If you cut it through and through (how you just slab a log) you would have a better yield and future flexibility. But with a log that small, cutting a cant and slicing that, isn't going to leave much.....figure maybe a 10-11" square cant (if all goes well) minus the pith. Maybe 75' of usable lumber per log (if you get a perfect yield and the pith is straight)

If it was me, I wouldn't pay for them. If it was a family thing and they wanted money, I wouldn't make an offer, id see what they wanted and either pay it (being family) or pass outright. I would think $50-75 a log would be the MAX I would even entertain paying. 

If it was something else like oak, no problem on 16" diameter. Its just borderline (for me) in walnut. 

If your a turner, one or two could be fantastic for bowl/platter blanks.

Once Favre hangs it up though, it years of cellar dwelling for the Pack. (Geoff 12-18-07)  

Walnut is SO easy to work green. I’d be all over that.
Steve S.
------------------------------------------------------
Tradition cannot be inherited, and if you want it you must obtain it by great labour.
- T. S. Eliot

Tutorials and Build-Alongs at The Literary Workshop
I think if they pay you $200-$300 it might be worth maybe thinking about it.

Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Well a 16" (small end) x 10ft log will scale out to 90-110 bd/ft, depending on what scale you use. 

Going rates seem to be between $1 and $4, depending on the grade of the log (defects like knots lower the value). 2 or 3 "clear faces" ups the log grade as it should produce higher quality boards. "Veneer Grade", i.e. perfect logs might go for more. But that's what the mills are paying for delivered logs. If they are laying in the woods, account for the cost of moving them. 

Now you can make you own judgement call on what it's going to cost to move the logs to your sawyer, or your ability to move them? And you probably have an idea of the sawing cost, but I'd be in the $50-$100 range for that size log, and reserve the right to leave the "firewood" grade ones behind.  But if you come out with decent green, "log run" Walnut boards for $1.50-$2 a bd ft, is that a good deal to you?

Pricing a few logs is always tricky. The thing is any large operation wants them by the the truck load. Any small operation that might be interested in a couple of logs will have higher overheads, so won't want to pay much for their logs.