Going rate for walnut logs
(07-31-2018, 12:38 PM)nosoup4u Wrote: My brother in law and sister in law are building a house on an acreage and cut down a bunch of walnut trees. They asked if I was interested in the logs. I have harvested trees before and had then milled but they were always off my own land so I never bought any. Does anyone know what the going rate is for say a 16"x10' log?

Ask the sawyer what he would pay. I can only relate what my Aunt and Uncle got for walnut he cut and sawed himself and air dried . In the 80's first and seconds got $3.00 bf  , select $1.85 bf and log run $.75 bf . When my Uncle passed my Aunt sold 1 tree a year to supplement her SS income. The veneer mill paid her a lot for a large walnut. If I recall she got $6500.00 for a tree. These were large walnut trees. I saw some that looked 150'-0" tall and 40/50" in diameter. 
I know that my Uncle sold some trees for 15000.00 . Not a mistake with the zero's. Mom saw the check and another Aunt deposited the check in the bank where she was a teller.
I have one walnut tree about 10" in diameter that produced at least 60 gallons of walnuts last year. I hate to think how much a large tree would produce. Gave up cracking walnuts after about 3 lbs of clean walnuts. What I couldn't give away I fed to the squirrels.
mike
(08-01-2018, 12:01 AM)mike4244 Wrote: I know that my Uncle sold some trees for 15000.00 . Not a mistake with the zero's. Mom saw the check and another Aunt deposited the check in the bank where she was a teller.

Those high value trees do exist. but they have to be something "special". Big and perfect logs. Most trees have "normal" logs, and their value is in the 100s, and that's after you get them cut and delivered.
(07-31-2018, 02:28 PM)nosoup4u Wrote: Nebraska. They are about 15 miles from the sawmill I normally use. Where do I start?

I live just outside of Council Bluffs and in Council Bluffs is a huge walnut buyer of which is all they do is buy walnut.  If you are close to them call them and find out directly from them instead of a middle man.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
I'm out of Nebraska also.  I buy walnut from time to time and probably wouldn't give any more than $25.
Price list from a local mill has walnut logs from $1,000 to $3,000 per thousand. The price sheet is about 6 months old. A 16"x10' log has 90 bf Doyle. The logs would be worth $90 to $270 each based on those prices.

Ken
Google Highly valuable walnut tree youtube.

Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.