it's always something, compressor regulator failure edition
(08-03-2018, 08:16 AM)EricU Wrote: Yeah, I saw that the BORGs have regulators in stock, about $25. I thought about putting one in line, I have a couple of regulators in the parts bin. I doubt anything I could buy would just fit in the system, unfortunately. Nail guns would probably be happier if I used a filter/regulator/water separator.   I'm hoping it was just sleeping since I had always had it set at full pressure, and that it finally woke up.

When you said it blows off the main tank do you mean the safety valve ?   If so there is a pressure switch that starts and stops the compressor which is not operating correctly. What is the tank pressure when it trips ? (not the regulated pressure) Roly
if the output is below the set tank pressure, it vents out of the regulator. This is normal for a while when you lower the pressure, but it didn't stop. Even if it's down to the regulated pressure, just continuously blows off tank pressure.  If I set the regulator to the tank pressure, it stops.  This is a pretty common thing for regulators to do when something's wrong in my experience. At work I would just shut off the air and go buy another regulator, because it was more important. Also, this is my money I'm spending.

The tank pressure is about 120. anytime the regulated pressure is below that, it was venting air. At least it was doing that, when I came inside after working with the nail gun, it seems to have stopped.

the reason I say it was blowing off tank pressure is that if I disconnect the hose, so the outlet is dead-ended, it still blew off air.
(08-03-2018, 03:57 PM)EricU Wrote: if the output is below the set tank pressure, it vents out of the regulator. This is normal for a while when you lower the pressure, but it didn't stop. Even if it's down to the regulated pressure, just continuously blows off tank pressure.  If I set the regulator to the tank pressure, it stops.  This is a pretty common thing for regulators to do when something's wrong in my experience. At work I would just shut off the air and go buy another regulator, because it was more important. Also, this is my money I'm spending.

The tank pressure is about 120. anytime the regulated pressure is below that, it was venting air. At least it was doing that, when I came inside after working with the nail gun, it seems to have stopped.

the reason I say it was blowing off tank pressure is that if I disconnect the hose, so the outlet is dead-ended, it still blew off air.

I wonder if it just got some dirt or tank rust in the regulator and its keeping it from closing properly.  Does it look like you could take it apart and clean it?
I assume so, since they sold a rebuild kit. Cleaning it is a good idea, looks really simple.  I'm not sure how easy it would be to get the sheet metal off the compressor at this late date, and it doesn't look like you can get the regulator apart without doing that. 

I found a cute little SMC regulator in my junk pneumatics parts bin, so I might go with that if I need to replace.
(08-02-2018, 02:17 PM)EricU Wrote: I have a dewalt emglo regulator like the one at this amazon link https://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-D55155-4-H...B00005NMUY

I have never thought to use the regulator before, but I was over-driving some nails and a light bulb came on, so I tried it.  It sorta works, but it blows off the main tank so the compressor is running most of the time.  I could probably work with that today, but I should fix it.  It looks like there was a repair kit at one time, not sure about now.  Seems like there must be a seal messed up though, does that sound right?  Looks like there are two o-rings in there.  Or maybe it's a diaphragm

Reasons Why an Air Compressor Will Not Build Pressure
Let’s start by the various issues that may cause this, and then address each of these issues.

compressor intake valve failing
compressor pressure valve failing
compressor gasket failure
compressor piston seal failure
tank check valve is compromised
it builds pressure, no problem.  Was having problems with the regulator on the output.  Seems to have healed itself though