Vinyl Windows Peeling
Vinyl is peeling off of windows. Any suggestions on how to repair? Some parts it cracked and sections broke off.
(08-04-2018, 07:03 AM)Gibbcutter Wrote: Vinyl is peeling off of windows. Any suggestions on how to repair?  Some parts it cracked and sections broke off.

Well, some pics would help?  How old is the vinyl and is the peeling on certain windows, e.g. those exposed to the sun?  Dave
Smile
Piedmont North Carolina
Sure they weren't painted?
Neil Summers Home Inspections

" What would Fred do?"

... CLETUS

Here is a picture.

Attached Files Image(s)

(08-04-2018, 07:03 AM)Gibbcutter Wrote: Vinyl is peeling off of windows. Any suggestions on how to repair?  Some parts it cracked and sections broke off.

Check the manufacturer's warranty; that shouldn't happen; I was pleasantly surprised when I called up Andersen to get a replacement window that had cracked to find out they gave a 20 year warranty on the glass; house is 17 years old.  They sent me a new one....
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
That’s what I am hoping for. Unfortunately theses are cheap builder’s windows and not confident the manufacturer will stand by their product.
(08-04-2018, 07:23 PM)Gibbcutter Wrote: That’s what I am hoping for. Unfortunately theses are cheap builder’s windows and not confident the manufacturer will stand by their product.

I used to sell windows for a chain hardware store. Pella, Anderson, MW, Marvin and several different vinyl window companies. We'd sell the vinyl windows till the company went out of business and pick up another line. All the vinyl windows had a lifetime warranty. Lifetime is about 8 years , they close up shop as soon as they start getting warranty claims. We sold Certainteed and Owings Corning vinyl windows too. Their products weren't any better but at least they answered the phone.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

" What would Fred do?"

... CLETUS

(08-04-2018, 08:35 PM)Snipe Hunter Wrote: I used to sell windows for a chain hardware store. Pella, Anderson, MW, Marvin and several different vinyl window companies. We'd sell the vinyl windows till the company went out of business and pick up another line. All the vinyl windows had a lifetime warranty. Lifetime is about 8 years , they close up shop as soon as they start getting warranty claims. We sold Certainteed and Owings Corning vinyl windows too. Their products weren't any better but at least they answered the phone.

So what is a good window in your opinion??
John T.
(08-04-2018, 05:07 PM)Snipe Hunter Wrote: Sure they weren't painted?

Those appear to be a vinyl clad window.  Rarely did the cladded windows carry a lifetime warranty and if it did have a lifetime warranty, that only applies to the original owner.  A lot of companies went under during the housing downturn. If you can find the brand, and find who may have purchased their assets - in some cases they also absorbed the warranty liabilities.  One example is Certinteed - Ply-gem purchased them and plygem does honor the certaineed warranties.   If you looking for Cladded, go Marvin.  If you looking for solid Vinyl go PlyGem or Milgard.  But in practice, the worst window can outperform a highend window with proper installation.  Installation is key
...the one thing I can make perfectly every time, without fail, is a mess!
Thanks for the replies. The biggest challenge will be to find a similar window that fits. This window problem was identified as part of a home inspection.