Leigh DT Jig Container?
I have an old D4 Dovetail Jig.  For years, I've been dealing with it's slightly odd shape, but delicate nature.  I'm wondering if anyone here has made a container for theirs, that isn't a monster in size.  I've seen a Britt's container on Youtube and now I'd like to see yours.  By the way, I"m getting up in years, so weight is consideration.  Thanks!
First is to build a base for the jig to raise it a little in use but primarily to protect those fragile little 90 degree legs that hang down in front. Those legs unprotected make it hard to store the jig.

Then a box - mine is about 15 inches square and 40 inches tall with casters on the end so the jig is on end and can be rolled into a corner.

Had time in shop one day and some new router bits so made pine raised panels for the box - hinged a long side - jig on it's base is held in the box by a couple of screws thru the box into the base.

Just a screw to hold the box closed. One screw to open box - 2 screws to release jig base from box - base makes it easy to clamp to bench.
I have the D-1258R-24 and I am experiencing the same issue with storage of the beast. I will be watching for others ideas here.
Thought it was here, but I remember a thread with pictures of a lot of boxes people made to store the jig and for the jig to sit on while be used.
Rich
"Have a very small amount of things to work with." Henri Cartier-Bresson
Peter parfitt (New Brit Workshop) built a pretty cool one and he'll give you the plans if you ask.
YouTube video showing the New Brit Workshop Leigh dovetail storage box: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YCJjbLIKb4
(08-06-2018, 09:25 PM)Ray Newman Wrote: YouTube video showing the New Brit Workshop Leigh dovetail storage box: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YCJjbLIKb4

The New Brit is the one I saw and it's pretty nice.  I do like Bandsaw's idea of storing the case on end and on wheels.  That might be a good option, if I can find the floor space.  When I say my garage shop is crowded, I really do mean it's crowded.  When I downsized, I ended up having to sell off 70% of my new-condition PM machines.
I am working on the raised base for the jig and keeping in mind that it will have to go into a box of some sort.  Sure wish there was a lightweight, plastic case for it.  Wouldn't that be nice...LEIGH!
I use the box to raise the jig on the odd occasion when the board I'm cutting is longer than the floor.

I tend to use the Leigh jig mostly for finger joints - so easy and quick to make shop boxes and drawers.
if you search "dovetail jig storage box" you'll find plenty of pictures under "images"
(08-07-2018, 11:08 PM)bandsaw Wrote: if you search "dovetail jig storage box" you'll find plenty of pictures under "images"

That is also on my "to do list".  I made a stand that was in some magazine a few years ago.  It had folding legs, but I don't really like it, and it still presents a storage problem.