Battery-powered string trimmer...you have one?
I bought a craftsman 19.2 volt string trimmer,  because that's what a majority of my cordless tools are, and there's always a fresh battery on my charger.  It's light and works well trimming grass. But the chain link fence always wins the fight.
(08-05-2018, 08:12 AM)WxMan Wrote: Can't speak to the battery trimmers; they simply won't do for my acreage.

However, one thing caught my eye on that EGo trimmer linked in an earlier response.  That's the easy-reload line head.  My Echo has one that's very similar and it's great.  In fact, I chose it over the Stihl for that reason, and I haven't been disappointed.

My dealer just sold me the echo head with my Stihl. I bought with the metal blade. The echo line trimmer head just spins right on.
Rocket Science is more fun when you actually have rockets. 

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government." -- Patrick Henry
I bought the Black & Darker 40V lithium string trimmer, like this one https://www.homedepot.com/p/BLACK-DECKER.../203072998 which also came with a blower.  The 2-fer set they sell now for $100 isn't the same, and I don't remember what I paid (at Lowes, I think), but the trimmer is perfect for my needs.  Fast, easy to reload, and the battery lasts much longer than one trimming session requires.

The blower is a bit anemic, but for my needs, it's just fine.  I only use it to blow clippings off my driveway and walk, and it's adequate.  Nothing like a big gas-powered unit, but the blower was a bonus as far as I'm concerned, and I wouldn't have bought one at all if it hadn't come with the trimmer.

Ahhh, found the one that came with my set.  https://www.homedepot.com/p/BLACK-DECKER...yAods6oDFA
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
I have the 40v greenworks trimmer and it’s been great. I have a typical small suburban lot though. This has been its 4th summer I think. Still rocking. I have a matching cordless mower and blower too so I share batteries.

If inweee buying again today I’d buy the makita just for the battery platform.
-Marc

(08-04-2018, 03:12 PM)Dumb_Polack Wrote: It’s my birthday and I want a battery powered weed wacker.

You have one you’d recommend ?

Posted the same topic here a couple of years ago and the recommendation was Black and Decker. Bought the recommended model off of Amazon and in the second year of use am still satisfied. Battery charges right up and stays strong for the entire session each time. 

Doug
I have a 20v dewalt trimmer.  I love it.  It's a bit weaker then my old gas one but it will still do my 1 acre yard on 1  five amp hour battery.   I even got one for my mother.  She was unable to start a gas one.

I got the 20v because I have a dozen batteries for my other tools.
WoodNET... the new safespace
I have the 80 V Kobalt.  I have had it for 3 years.  I like it because it can use my attachments I already had for my old trimmer.  I don't use it often, but when I need it I can do a major portion  of my yard on 1 battery.  I have 2, so I am never down. The charger charges the battery in 30 Min.  Dan
I have the Sears 19.2 - have a whole bunch of their tools.  It works just fine for a normal size yard.  I have extra batteries so I can go about 3 hours.  You don't bounce the head to lead out more string - every time you release the trigger a little more comes out.  You can pull more string out by pushing a button on the head.  Easy to change the string.

It is a light weight tool.  Meant for a homeowner with normal trimming.  I wouldn't use it to go after large amounts.
John

Always use the right tool for the job.

We need to clean house.
I bought the 40v Ryobi trimmer at HD, liked it so much I got the hedge trimmer and hand held leaf blower, battery life is very good.
Im sure these are the same people that have said they got no problem eating cats and dogs but shreek like little girls at the sight of an octopus.jonzz 12/17/13
(08-04-2018, 03:12 PM)Dumb_Polack Wrote: It’s my birthday and I want a battery powered weed wacker.

You have one you’d recommend ?

I have dewalt tools so I got a trimmer that uses their 20v batteries.  with a 5ah battery I have no problem trimming the acreage I live on.

I love not having to mess with gas or leave the thing running while walking between trees.
WoodNET... the new safespace