What happened to Wenzolff and Sons?
Just curious really.  As I needed to use a couple of hand saws lately I was looking at my saw till and thinking of holes I wouldn't mind filling out.  First person i think of is MikeW and his wonderful saws.  His website is quite bare, and I noticed that there is nothing on the Lee Valley site anymore.  (Looks like old news but I've been out of the game for a minute).

From the looks of things I'm assuming they ceased production.  Is that correct?  Is it temporary? 

I apologize if this is has been gone over before, but a search turned up nothing of note.
Semper Fi,

Barry
I'm hoping this isn't the case, but he and his family have had some health issues in the past few years, and I'm guessing those health issues have caused him to close the business - or at least take an extended leave. Providing saws to individuals is one thing. Providing them to a business like Lee Valley puts additional pressure on you. Not a good combination if you have health issues. I'm fortunate to own a couple of his saws. They are a pleasure to use, and pretty much have taught me what a properly sharpened saw should do. I've also met him, and taken a class from him. Stand up guy. His health is more important than his business. I wish him well.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
Take a look at the offerings from a newcomer to the custom saw field -- Florip Tool Works

Erik Florip has spent the last several years perfecting his craft and developing ways to economically produce high quality saws. Considering that he manufactures every part on these saws, including the folded spines, you will be surprised at the low prices that he is able to offer. His panel saws even feature taper ground plates.

[Image: 43834979812_c85be97983_z.jpg]

[Image: 43165945644_7bcfd01ece_z.jpg]
Bob Page
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
In da U.P. of Michigan
www.loonlaketoolworks.com
Thanks for the info Allan.  I've been around long enough to remember when MikeW posted frequently, and miss his contributions.  I hope he and his are doing well.

I took a look at Florip Tool Works, interesting.  I like the look of his saws, and the price is right.  My favorite part, Marine.

Thanks gents.
Semper Fi,

Barry
Does Blackyboy also make saws here?  One of the guys does here and all from the spline up also.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
(08-06-2018, 03:56 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: Does Blackyboy also make saws here?  One of the guys does here and all from the spline up also.

He sells plates, backs and nuts for those who want to roll their own.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Dominic's website is still up and running.  Haven't seen him here for a while, though. Looks like he's still selling saw plates, folded backs, and saw nuts for folks who want to put together a saw from a kit. 

Isaac Smith's website is still up, too. But it looks like he's just offering kits right now.  Not sure if he's still making complete saws or not.

It does seem that a lot of new saw makers eventually get overwhelmed by the volume of orders at some point, or saw making ends up not working out for them for one reason or another.  A few soldier through it.  Making saws does require a pretty high level of skill, both woodworking and metal working.  But it's also tedious work.  The first dozen or two saws can be fun.  After a hundred or two hundred saws, you've practically become a machine.  And nobody really likes being a machine for decades on end.  Aside from all that, it's hard to set up your own business and maintain it as a primary source of income when you're doing all the labor, all the bookkeeping, all the marketing, all the customer service, etc.  Making enough to live on isn't easy, especially in the hand tool market, which can be somewhat volatile.  My hat's off to anybody who can keep a small tool-making business going, part time or full time, for more than a couple years.  

Anyhow, for new joinery saws, don't overlook Lee Valley, Lie-Nielsen, and Tools for Working Wood.  They all make really good saws.
Steve S.
------------------------------------------------------
Tradition cannot be inherited, and if you want it you must obtain it by great labour.
- T. S. Eliot

Tutorials and Build-Alongs at The Literary Workshop
(08-06-2018, 08:03 PM)Bibliophile 13 Wrote: Anyhow, for new joinery saws, don't overlook Lee Valley, Lie-Nielsen, and Tools for Working Wood.  They all make really good saws.

An often overlooked handsaw (as opposed to joinery saws) are the Pax handsaws by Thos. Flinn out of the UK; taper ground, the only negative is the handle is kind of clunky.  I don't own one but a friend does and he let me fondle it a bit, decent saw.  LV and TBT sells them, but at TBT you can get a walnut handled version:

http://www.thebestthings.com/newtools/flinn.htm

and at $125 for a full size handsaw, cc or rip, they are a pretty good value.  Lots of options out there for new saws.  I must say, however, that as far as saws go, its totally all in the sharpening and setting, and industrial producers sometimes fall down on that point.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
I reall would like to know what happend to Mike, too. He is the guy who inspired me to become a saw maker.
And he shared all his knowledge. Other than some of the newer guys.

There are a few new guys Florip and Bearcat
My favorite new guy is http://www.greyhoundtoolworks.com/ Slava makes some very fine saws.

Cheers
Pedder

Who hasen't passed the hundreds mark by know and still loves saw making.
(08-07-2018, 08:31 AM)Pedder Wrote: I reall would like to know what happend to Mike, too. He is the guy who inspired me to become a saw maker.
And he shared all his knowledge. Other than some of the newer guys.

There are a few new guys Florip and Bearcat
My favorite new guy is http://www.greyhoundtoolworks.com/ Slava makes some very fine saws.

Cheers
Pedder

Who hasen't passed the hundreds mark by know and still loves saw making.

Do you make panel saws to?  I know for sure you make wonderful saws.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.