What happened to Wenzolff and Sons?
(08-21-2018, 10:19 PM)Bibliophile 13 Wrote: Well, it's nice to see WoodNet operating the way it used to.  Ah, the extended replies to off-handed remarks, the bashing of SMC, and the interminable threads...  

How was SMC bashed?  I mentioned them only as a different woodworking forum that I don't visit that often.  That's bashing?
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
I am still around, lurking in the shadows...  Norse Woodsmith is still up and running, though I rarely contribute - it still gathers active blog posts from many I follow.

I find these days I'm too busy to do much worth posting on, and my knowledge and skill level is leagues behind other current posters here.  I was/am one of those who would post projects while learning, inspired in no small part by other posters here.  I had never made a saw - someone was lamenting the "impossibilities" of making your own, yet I recalled a post (I think on WoodCentral) where Todd Hughes made a saw from a shovel.  YES - A SHOVEL! 
Confused
Yes
Laugh 

Once I saw that I had to try.  Cian was a huge encouragement, and his photography skills surely didn't hurt either...

I still hang out here and keep track of those I admire that still post, and still put my .02c occasionally.  This forum is the only one I've ever been comfortable with, there are some great people here - still.

Leif
The wrong kind of non-conformist.

http://www.norsewoodsmith.com
(08-06-2018, 05:07 PM)Admiral Wrote: He sells plates, backs and nuts for those who want to roll their own.

Yup, I'm still "here. I check in on occasion.TGIAG has had a pretty busy year. Since the write up in FWW a couple of years ago we've gotten much busier.

We're currently working our way through a big order of 8" stair saws for those people who are taking a saw sharpening class (Somewhere in Georgia I think).
See ya around,
Dominic
------------------------------
Don't you love it when you ask someone what time it is and to prove how smart they are, they tell you how to build a watch?
(08-22-2018, 06:28 AM)AHill Wrote: How was SMC bashed?  I mentioned them only as a different woodworking forum that I don't visit that often.  That's bashing?

I found out "bashing" could be equated to "not showing support or not showering praises" depending on whom you talk to. Just a mentioning is not enough for some.

In one forum that no longer existed, a group of "friends" would gang up on anyone who was critical of or had a diferent opinion on either the forum or one of their buddies. They simply disliked divergent opinions. To them, everything was bashing unless whatever you said was in a positive light.

Simon
(08-22-2018, 07:56 AM)Nordic Wrote: I am still around, lurking in the shadows...  Norse Woodsmith is still up and running, though I rarely contribute - it still gathers active blog posts from many I follow.

I find these days I'm too busy to do much worth posting on, and my knowledge and skill level is leagues behind other current posters here.  I was/am one of those who would post projects while learning, inspired in no small part by other posters here.  I had never made a saw - someone was lamenting the "impossibilities" of making your own, yet I recalled a post (I think on WoodCentral) where Todd Hughes made a saw from a shovel.  YES - A SHOVEL! 
Confused
Yes
Laugh 

Once I saw that I had to try.  Cian was a huge encouragement, and his photography skills surely didn't hurt either...

I still hang out here and keep track of those I admire that still post, and still put my .02c occasionally.  This forum is the only one I've ever been comfortable with, there are some great people here - still.

Leif

Leif,

Good to see you are still around!   

All the best!
John
Formerly known as John's Woodshop
(08-21-2018, 07:33 AM)Timberwolf Wrote: Allan, Cian posts frequently in the basement..He's got more tools than Carter has liver pills.....but recently he has become interested in long range rifle shooting, so I guess we better stock up on ammo before he buys it all.....
Crazy  
Laugh
Jack,

I saw he had posted there, but I have never been a basement rat...it seems like that's the most popular forum here...BTW, I resemble that remark also, I have a fair amount of tools...I have a pretty complete woodworking setup, but moved all my woodworking machines out and put them in storage so I could have better space for my metalworking. I mentioned I have a Rivett 1020F and a South Bend 9A (and 10L in pieces). I also have a Nichols horizontal mill with a vertical head and a Deckel mill with a few accessories. I'm much better equipped and know a lot more about metalworking nowadays. I have a fair amount of measuring tools, a couple surface plates, a surface grinder (not setup yet), horizontal bandsaw, drill press, tig welder, et al At home I only keep an 18" bandsaw, 12" DeWalt slider, DeWalt portapotty planer, et al. I still use hand tools a lot and often will use them rather than using a machine, but I don't care to dimension with hand tools. Get me to the meat and potatoes, i.e., the joinery. And there is only one things better than meat and potatoes, that's meat and meat!
Laugh

(08-21-2018, 11:36 AM)Admiral Wrote: Scroll down a bit here.......

Admiral, we must put a pic here!

[Image: Norse_Saw_l_640.jpg]

(08-22-2018, 07:56 AM)Nordic Wrote: I am still around, lurking in the shadows...  Norse Woodsmith is still up and running, though I rarely contribute - it still gathers active blog posts from many I follow.
Good to see you Leif! Hope all is well, I honestly haven't been to your blog in ages, I used to have it in an RSSFEED but don't have any those those anymore. I just marked your blog and will follow. Don't be such a stranger!

(08-22-2018, 07:56 AM)Nordic Wrote: and my knowledge and skill level is leagues behind other current posters here.

Pppffffffffffttttt....are you serious? Do you really believe that?
Laugh

(08-22-2018, 07:56 AM)Nordic Wrote: yet I recalled a post (I think on WoodCentral) where Todd Hughes made a saw from a shovel.  YES - A SHOVEL! 
Confused
Yes
Laugh
That's a good one, I do remember seeing that somewhere. A guy that made an AK-47 out of a shovel...if you google on YouTube.
Rolleyes

(08-22-2018, 07:56 AM)Nordic Wrote: I still hang out here and keep track of those I admire that still post, and still put my .02c occasionally.  This forum is the only one I've ever been comfortable with, there are some great people here - still.

Would be nice if you stop by the hand tool section occasionally!
Wink

(08-22-2018, 12:20 PM)Blacky Wrote: Yup, I'm still "here. I check in on occasion.TGIAG has had a pretty busy year. Since the write up in FWW a couple of years ago we've gotten much busier.
Hooya, they're all being flushed out now...LOL

(08-22-2018, 12:20 PM)Blacky Wrote: We're currently working our way through a big order of 8" stair saws for those people who are taking a saw sharpening class (Somewhere in Georgia I think).

Cool, hope things are going well for you. I've been having a hard time in high tech, H1-Bs are eating my lunch...but I'm on my way to retirement hopefully, but it's gonna take some years before I can get my house/shop in livable shape. I'm not sure if I will start making saws again, but I have the bug...I have had some ideas that I never got to test out and think I want to take a stab at it now. I don't know if I could survive making saws, there's so much competition, the Veritas saws, these new Florip saw that are sub $100, even the LN saws...when you consider a dovetail saw at $125, it's incredibly hard to compete with those guys...so I must realize that those commodity saws are not what I build. I use materials that cost more and are better...I make everything by hand, including the backs and nuts on manual metalworking machines. I will never create saws for the masses, mine will always be more boutique. That said, I have always felt that most people won't spend the money it would cost to make the type of saws I build. Innovation is key for me, I want my saws to be unique always. And there are many people making great saws for less than I would. Ron Bontz makes some of the nicest looking saws at a reasonable price. They just look nice, not overly complicated, not too much pizzazz, but enough to make them unique. I don't go for a lot of artsy scrolls and scallops, I want my tools to look like a quality tool not some toy. This is not to dis any maker, just to say that I'm opinionated on what I like and make.

Good to see you and Leif show up...
Cool

Alan
So I haven't really seen where the answer has really been answered.
Winkgrin 

Where is Mike??
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(08-22-2018, 06:17 PM)Stwood_ Wrote: So I haven't really seen where the answer has really been answered.
Winkgrin 

Where is Mike??

Still no reply for me, and I sent Rob Lee a PM here on Woodnet, but see he logged in this morning but no reply, so not sure.

I suspect Rob Lee is the one person that knows *SOMETHING*.

Alan
(08-22-2018, 03:29 PM)TraditionalToolworks Wrote: Jack,

I saw he had posted there, but I have never been a basement rat...it seems like that's the most popular forum here...BTW, I resemble that remark also, I have a fair amount of tools...I have a pretty complete woodworking setup, but moved all my woodworking machines out and put them in storage so I could have better space for my metalworking. I mentioned I have a Rivett 1020F and a South Bend 9A (and 10L in pieces). I also have a Nichols horizontal mill with a vertical head and a Deckel mill with a few accessories. I'm much better equipped and know a lot more about metalworking nowadays. I have a fair amount of measuring tools, a couple surface plates, a surface grinder (not setup yet), horizontal bandsaw, drill press, tig welder, et al At home I only keep an 18" bandsaw, 12" DeWalt slider, DeWalt portapotty planer, et al. I still use hand tools a lot and often will use them rather than using a machine, but I don't care to dimension with hand tools. Get me to the meat and potatoes, i.e., the joinery. And there is only one things better than meat and potatoes, that's meat and meat!
Laugh

Admiral, we must put a pic here!

[Image: Norse_Saw_l_640.jpg]

Good to see you Leif! Hope all is well, I honestly haven't been to your blog in ages, I used to have it in an RSSFEED but don't have any those those anymore. I just marked your blog and will follow. Don't be such a stranger!

Pppffffffffffttttt....are you serious? Do you really believe that?
Laugh

That's a good one, I do remember seeing that somewhere. A  guy that made an AK-47 out of a shovel...if you google on YouTube.
Rolleyes

Would be nice if you stop by the hand tool section occasionally!
Wink

Hooya, they're all being flushed out now...LOL

Cool, hope things are going well for you. I've been having a hard time in high tech, H1-Bs are eating my lunch...but I'm on my way to retirement hopefully, but it's gonna take some years before I can get my house/shop in livable shape. I'm not sure if I will start making saws again, but I have the bug...I have had some ideas that I never got to test out and think I want to take a stab at it now. I don't know if I could survive making saws, there's so much competition, the Veritas saws, these new Florip saw that are sub $100, even the LN saws...when you consider a dovetail saw at $125, it's incredibly hard to compete with those guys...so I must realize that those commodity saws are not what I build. I use materials that cost more and are better...I make everything by hand, including the backs and nuts on manual metalworking machines. I will never create saws for the masses, mine will always be more boutique. That said, I have always felt that most people won't spend the money it would cost to make the type of saws I build. Innovation is key for me, I want my saws to be unique always. And there are many people making great saws for less than I would. Ron Bontz makes some of the nicest looking saws at a reasonable price. They just look nice, not overly complicated, not too much pizzazz, but enough to make them unique. I don't go for a lot of artsy scrolls and scallops, I want my tools to look like a quality tool not some toy. This is not to dis any maker, just to say that I'm opinionated on what I like and make.

Good to see you and Leif show up...
Cool

Alan
Sounds like you have even more metalworking tools than I do, but I have too many for the space I have for them..Two mills, DP BS 8 lathes and lots of tooling for them..I just sold and shipped a Buck 6jaw chuck for the SB..I only used it twice and I am way too old to keep hanging on to things I don't use. A 5C collet chuck and a full set of collets are going next, also unused..I have a 3C complete and a set of ER collets..One lathe I have had a couple years and haven't ever used is a Myford Super Seven..I gotta get that baby going this winter!!

I will have to say that the "Z man" has all of us beat when it comes to machines and tools..The bum even has an indoor rifle range...
Crazy
Crazy
Laugh
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

quote='AHill' pid='7658106' dateline='1534873172']
Here are some other frequent contributors that seem to have dropped out of sight or who post far less frequently:

Joel Moskowitz (Tools for Working Wood)
Bob Smalser (already mentioned)
RoboHippy (turning forum)
Christopher Schwarz (yes, he used to post)
Bob Lang (PWW editor, still posts a bit)
Glen Huey (PWW staff)
Chuck Bender (PWW staff)
Elinorunning (Megan Fitzpatrick - Former Editor of Popular Woodworking)
Wilbur Pan (Japanese tools aficianado, Popular Woodworking contributor)
Schtoo (Tools from Japan owner, Japanese tools expert)
Dave Diaman (Period furniture savant)

I'm sure I'm missing a lot more.  These are a few I remember.[/quote]
Certainly people change and move on, and everyone changes...I didn't know the Wilbur contributed to PWW, but remember him here before and he was always a Japanese tool aficionado.

If you look over that list, much of it is PWW or what dominated PWW for at least a dozen years. Chris kind of put that team together, Megan was kind of his protege in some ways, and Chris, Bob, Glen, Megan were a great team. I honestly don't remember them posting here when I used to hang out here, most of them were posting over on the PWW website and/or Lost Arts. But then, I wasn't hanging out here and couldn't tell you what they did.

Alan - just my $0.02, worth what you paid for it...