The Birth of a Grizzly Table Saw
(08-15-2018, 08:49 PM)Lucky Irish Wrote: It does have the riving knife.
I think it has more to do with the way the top is machined for the factory insert. There isn't much depth around the edge of the insert and they use a magnet to hold it down at the front.

Easy enough to make your own; inlay and glue in a rare earth magnet to hold it firmly.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Gotta lov that new saw smell!  
Cool
(08-10-2018, 11:04 AM)5thumbs Wrote: I applied the Camelia oil on the table top and sides. I've used it successfully for about 5 years on my planes and chisels - no rust even in an unheated shop. I also used it on my jointer for about 3 years with great success.

I used paste wax in the past - had not problems with that but I've heard it doesn't always work. Tried the Camelia oil a few years ago and we pretty happy with the results. I leave it on for a day or so then wipe with a clean cloth. Doesn't seem to transfer to wood.

Fully assembled yet? Test drive?

Doug
Had some delay due to the localized flooding and the resulting cleanup. Didn't affect the shop but the vegetable garden needed help and I got drafted by the wife. (She's the one who sprang for the extra $$ to buy the saw so I couldn't really refuse.)

After that, I decided to re-organize the shop - that's almost done - hope to finish today. then comes the fun part - pics and making sawdust!
Jim

Demonstrating every day that enthusiasm cannot overcome a lack of talent!
I've always called the riffing knife a splitter. Hard to break old habits, especially when "knife" and "riffing" never seemed to make sense of the tool.
(08-20-2018, 08:38 AM)daddo Wrote: I've always called the riffing knife a splitter. Hard to break old habits, especially when "knife" and "riffing" never seemed to make sense of the tool.

Me too............
(08-20-2018, 08:38 AM)daddo Wrote: I've always called the riffing knife a splitter. Hard to break old habits, especially when "knife" and "riffing" never seemed to make sense of the tool.

I've never heard or seen the term "riffing" knife.  I've always seen it spelled "riving".  I always presumed the name came from the similarity to "riving" the wood, sort of like with a froe. 

Definition of rive

1 a : to wrench open or tear apart or to pieces rend

b : to split with force or violence

2 a : to divide into pieces
  • nations riven by civil war

b : fracture
If you are going down a river at 2 mph and your canoe loses a wheel, how much pancake mix would you need to shingle your roof?

(08-20-2018, 11:44 AM)Bill Wilson Wrote: I've never heard or seen the term "riffing" knife. 

Bobby Darin does a bit of riffing on Mac the Knife.  
Raised

Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
Good musac.
(08-20-2018, 02:36 PM)TDKPE Wrote: Bobby Darin does a bit of riffing on Mac the Knife.  
Raised

Well played, sir. 
Laugh
If you are going down a river at 2 mph and your canoe loses a wheel, how much pancake mix would you need to shingle your roof?