Removing veneer
I've been asked by my church to repair a pew. I have to remove the old veneer before applying the new. Is a hot gun the best way to go on the removal or is there a better way?
If it’s old enough to be installed with hide glue, a hot iron will release the glue.
John
Hot heat gun, wide chisel to work under a loose portion of the veneer. Maybe get some water under there to loosen if it's newer glue.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

I'd use a heat gun before I'd ever even think of using a hot gun.
Wood is good. 
(08-08-2018, 06:06 PM)ez-duzit Wrote: I'd use a heat gun before I'd ever even think of using a hot gun.

Basically the same thing. A heat gun is hot when it's on. Picky picky picky
Winkgrin
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Thanks folks. It's probably hide glue since it's a quite old church. over 100 yrs.
The veneer that has been affected by water damage scraps off pretty easily, other more stubborn and the rest is down right difficult. Any methods to try?
How thick is the veneer?
Steve

Missouri

WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(08-12-2018, 02:38 PM)Stwood_ Wrote: How thick is the veneer?

Don't know exactly but a same thickness than I bought to replace it, 22m BFV