locating copper pipes
I need to locate some water lines in our shower before installing a grab bar. What complicates the issue is that the controller is on the same wall that I want to place a grab bar, but that wall is perpendicular to the wall with the head and entry through the floor. Conventional stud finders are no help.  Any ideas?
Bill
(08-08-2018, 08:35 PM)GEB Wrote: I need to locate some water lines in our shower before installing a grab bar. What complicates the issue is that the controller is on the same wall that I want to place a grab bar, but that wall is perpendicular to the wall with the head and entry through the floor. Conventional stud finders are no help.  Any ideas?
Bill

what's below or above that wall that might allow a visual.  If not that what is behind that wall that might provide access.  If in a closet easy to open up a spot
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

Can you remove the escutcheon plate and look inside the wall?
Neil Summers Home Inspections

" What would Fred do?"

... CLETUS

(08-09-2018, 07:51 AM)thooks Wrote: https://www.amazon.com/Walabot-Imager-An...B06Y29NXKK

Look at the reviews on Amazon before buying.  Roly
Dewalt made one for a short time then a V2 then pulled it all together. The  best method to finding pipes is to hang a picture.
(08-09-2018, 05:51 PM)Snipe Hunter Wrote: Can you remove the escutcheon plate and look inside the wall?

Yep. And, buy a cheap micro-usb borescope to get a better view.
Rocket Science is more fun when you actually have rockets. 

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government." -- Patrick Henry
(08-10-2018, 07:27 PM)Mr_Mike Wrote: Yep.  And, buy a cheap micro-usb borescope to get a better view.

Or a mirror and a flashlight.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

" What would Fred do?"

... CLETUS

Thermal camera app on an iPhone and run hot or cold (whichever gives you the greatest differential) water through the pipes?

I know, I know, a long-shot.
(08-10-2018, 08:39 PM)Phil Thien Wrote: Thermal camera app on an iPhone and run hot or cold (whichever gives you the greatest differential) water through the pipes?

I know, I know, a long-shot.
       Using a seek with a phone or tablet might work but i doubt it would be very accurate and would probably take a long time running water through the pipes. But please don't use an apple product...
(08-10-2018, 08:06 PM)Snipe Hunter Wrote: Or a mirror and a flashlight.

And miss the chance for a new tool?
Rocket Science is more fun when you actually have rockets. 

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government." -- Patrick Henry