locating copper pipes
(08-10-2018, 07:27 PM)Mr_Mike Wrote: Yep.  And, buy a cheap micro-usb borescope to get a better view.

This. You can get one for $15-20, the camera/light heads are only about 1/4" diameter. Make sure it's compatible with your phone. They work surprisingly well.
(08-08-2018, 08:35 PM)GEB Wrote: I need to locate some water lines in our shower before installing a grab bar. What complicates the issue is that the controller is on the same wall that I want to place a grab bar, but that wall is perpendicular to the wall with the head and entry through the floor. Conventional stud finders are no help.  Any ideas?
Bill

I'm zeroing in on the "Walabot". Took me a while to find a non I-phone smartphone once I read all the reviews. . More later.
Bill
Have you tried a cheap magnetic drywall nail/screw finder? Not sure if you have a fiberglass shower or tile but pipes and wires should have metal covers on your studs over wire and pipe penetrations. If the magnet picks it you, you should be able to map out the pipe run pretty easily.

$3.49
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

(08-16-2018, 09:10 PM)Snipe Hunter Wrote: Have you tried a cheap magnetic drywall nail/screw finder? Not sure if you have a fiberglass shower or tile but pipes and wires should have metal covers on your studs over wire and pipe penetrations. If the magnet picks it you, you should be able to map out the pipe run pretty easily.

$3.49

Copper is not magnetic - its a non-ferrous metal - or are you just trying to find the plate guards?
...the one thing I can make perfectly every time, without fail, is a mess!
(08-08-2018, 08:35 PM)GEB Wrote: I need to locate some water lines in our shower before installing a grab bar. What complicates the issue is that the controller is on the same wall that I want to place a grab bar, but that wall is perpendicular to the wall with the head and entry through the floor. Conventional stud finders are no help.  Any ideas?
Bill

Pull the escutcheons on the valve and shower head - and look in the wall with a cheap borascope.  

Can you trace where the pipe enters the wall from a surrounding location/crawl/attic?
...the one thing I can make perfectly every time, without fail, is a mess!
(08-16-2018, 06:50 PM)GEB Wrote: I'm zeroing in on the "Walabot". Took me a while to find a non I-phone smartphone once I read all the reviews. . More later.
Bill

Changed my mind, too many unknowns, the Walabot app and cost, finding studs in a narrow wall that match the bar's length, and the controller taking up a lot of space.

So I went to the end of the wall away from all the copper and used those studs to mount the bar vertically. I do appreciate all the helpful interest and suggestions, but KISS won out on this one.

Bill
(08-17-2018, 03:27 PM)woodgrain Wrote: or are you just trying to find the plate guards?

yes
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay