Replacing deck joist - board width mismatch
(08-19-2018, 12:15 PM)Tapper Wrote: No personal offense intended here, but this is clearly "paralysis by analysis" IMO. This is a pretty simple matter. Notching these few joists is NOT A BIG DEAL. If the new joists shrink a little later, just shim them to the level of the old ones to keep the deck surface level.

BTW, if you choose to trim the new joists to the original size, you run into the same problem, i.e. they may shrink later and have to be shimmed. I would notch them and be done with it. If they eventually split at the top of the notch you still haven't lost any strength, as they will be at the same load bearing level as the old joists.

Doug

I like the phrase---very descriptive.

The correct solution is one for that circumstance. My experience comes from repairing and building decks, so I have seen some hack jobs. That makes me careful with advice. A notch of 1/4" is about as minimal as possible and completely within specs.

But, and I am splitting hairs, if the boards are notched and shrink---Oops! If not notched and shrink----Ok. Comebacks/required follow ups are something I try to avoid. That is the mechanic in me.
Yes
(08-19-2018, 11:42 PM)K. L McReynolds Wrote: I like the phrase---very descriptive.

The correct solution is one for that circumstance. My experience comes from repairing and building decks, so I have seen some hack jobs. That makes me careful with advice. A notch of 1/4" is about as minimal as possible and completely within specs.

But, and I am splitting hairs, if the boards are notched and shrink---Oops! If not notched and shrink----Ok. Comebacks/required follow ups are something I try to avoid. That is the mechanic in me.
Yes

Don't really see an "oops!" here. I too have built at least several decks in my life and always like to "wear a belt and suspenders too" when it comes to strength and loads, i.e. I overbuild everything. The new joists were described as larger in width than the originals. Only two options, either notch them or rip them to the original width. In either case, if they are "wet" pressure treated SYP they may (probably will) shrink a little. If it causes a leveling problem that you can't live with, shimming is an easy solution IMO.

Doug