Shed Project: Siding and Gutters
Here's a link to the last installment:  Soffits and Trim

Putting up the siding was pretty easy compared to all the prep work with corners, trim, and installing the starter strips, J-channels, and under sill receivers.  I started on the back which was a plain wall except for the gable window.  After I got even with the eaves I had to build some scaffolding.  Not what you see here, much higher.  

[Image: Z-QKpxtkZZFd3mknrUlBo_4ac98zUAy__WEgei1m...35-h626-no]

I pre marked all the studs on the house wrap so I knew where to nail.  I used 1-1/2" galvanized roofing nails to nail on the siding.  I left a 1/4" for expansion where the siding met the corners and J-channels.   When the siding was done and the scaffolding still up I installed the aluminum trim on the rake boards. 

[Image: lNL1qcQ5PPe7Ao_hvcLlsGdA6XgFW2kqUCUZ2LGd...35-h626-no]

Moving around the building:

[Image: VGz6nDd89sQTZJg48oy8j_ZWbyD2z9948kEs98yi...35-h626-no]  

The door trim goes right up under the soffits.  This eliminated trying to install a really narrow piece of siding up there.  As you can see the last piece of siding had to be cut to fit into the under sill receiver.  

[Image: xNwUyJ8OJgnz2ZsW9OKzLaHUETSJy-FG-TPcw8Fe...35-h626-no]

That's pretty simple, just measure and cut.  But then you have to use this little punch tool to put create locking tabs on the top edge of the siding so it can't slip out of the under sill receiver.  The tool I bought created those tabs too far down from the top edge of the siding, so I just visually eye balled where they had to go.  If I had to install miles of siding I would have spent a little time modifying the tool.  

[Image: CR2j4QT8xho19SV3NPkUcXxn6khO7u25b1DG20qB...35-h626-no]

Anyway, when you slide the top edge of the siding up under the trim  you can hear and feel it click into place.  It's a bit of juggling act to make sure both the bottom and top edges of the siding are engaged properly and simultaneously but it's not all that hard.  

[Image: ACfSezCxJWB6Kp0bCO3YmSpQUFSMZLKKf1h5wUh6...35-h626-no]

You also can see how the siding fits behind the door and window trim I made.  I really like the clean look with no J-channel.  

[Image: OMpQf5Mc_EPunxClBkP8PdvrnevbnRk0ASbQ08U_...70-h626-no]

[Image: 4oi8lvk_QTHiluQ1X_iE62CldmPap6EG1L8vK2wI...35-h626-no]

I used vinyl gutters from Home Depot.  The gutters and downspouts are really cheap, but by the time you add in all the hangers and fittings it isn't so cheap anymore.  It was $200 to do the two 21 ft gutters on the shed.  I decided on vinyl rather than continuous aluminum because the 10 ft sections were easily transported and they won't dent like aluminum does.  Installing them couldn't get much easier as the parts snap together and self seal (or so they claim).  Once you have your line snapped on the fascia you just screw the gutter sections to that line and snap on the connectors.  Testing after the first side was installed showed the connections were indeed leak free.  

[Image: VoygTBvx-0wGVU913CfvqPYrGV7i0XkKXHQGZtFm...35-h626-no]

[Image: pjWuURION3jst9Cawfc0CQ4evA_AwQyZ0qLLvnT_...35-h626-no]

Somehow I bought one too few pieces of aluminum fascia trim so I have to get and install that before I can put up the gutter on the other side of the shed but, other than that, it's done except for the doors.  And those will be next.  

Thanks for following along.  

John
Looks Great! Is it really just a shed though?
Smirk Dan

Cool  Looking good.

Vinyl gutters. We don't use those here as they will sag from the heat. Even extra brackets don't help much.

Most here call the gutter guys and they make and install them on site. Continuous gutters, no seams.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(08-12-2018, 01:11 PM)jteneyck Wrote: You also can see how the siding fits behind the door and window trim I made.  I really like the clean look with no J-channel.  

[Image: OMpQf5Mc_EPunxClBkP8PdvrnevbnRk0ASbQ08U_...70-h626-no]

Love this feature. Going to be doing siding/window/roof/soffits in the next 18 months on our house. Wife wants vinyl on the sides and back, I want hardie board. The main reason I hate vinyl is the j channel around windows. This is slick (and it makes the window look nicer too)

Going to farm out the roof and soffits, and likely will do the windows myself (because I can get a good wood window for what a replacement installed would be) and likely the siding (never done vinyl myself, but its not rocket science) 

I love the soffit work as well.

Once Favre hangs it up though, it years of cellar dwelling for the Pack. (Geoff 12-18-07)  

(08-12-2018, 03:40 PM)Stwood_ Wrote:
Cool  Looking good.

Vinyl gutters. We don't use those here as they will sag from the heat. Even extra brackets don't help much.

Most here call the gutter guys and they make and install them on site. Continuous gutters, no seams.

Well, we'll see how they fair.  I put brackets every 18".  I doubt any gutter company would come out and install continuous aluminum gutters for $200 so that's how I ended up with vinyl.  On average we get about 5 days a year of 90F or higher, and it's never been 100F here, so I doubt they are going to sag.  But it's a shed and if they sag they sag.  As long as they collect and drain away the rain I'll be happy.  And they need to do that.  From the two little rains we've had since the roofing went on there are pretty good trenches in the dirt below the eaves.    

John
(08-12-2018, 03:54 PM)packerguy® Wrote: Love this feature. Going to be doing siding/window/roof/soffits in the next 18 months on our house. Wife wants vinyl on the sides and back, I want hardie board. The main reason I hate vinyl is the j channel around windows. This is slick (and it makes the window look nicer too)

Going to farm out the roof and soffits, and likely will do the windows myself (because I can get a good wood window for what a replacement installed would be) and likely the siding (never done vinyl myself, but its not rocket science) 

I love the soffit work as well.

Thanks.  I couldn't agree more about J-channel around windows.  It just looks poor. I understand why it's used on retrofit work, but on new construction there's no good reason to use it.  You can buy windows with integral J-channels like the ones I used in the gables.  I didn't use them for the lower windows because I wanted the window moldings to match what I was putting around the doors.  Had that not been the case, however, I would have.  

John
(08-12-2018, 03:06 PM)rudedan60 Wrote: Looks Great! Is it really just a shed though?
Smirk Dan

Thanks.  Yep, just a shed.  I'm just doing what my wife said, "Make it look good.".  We've joked almost daily that it would make a very nice tiny house - except for the lack of power and plumbing.  

John
(08-12-2018, 04:17 PM)jteneyck Wrote: Well, we'll see how they fair.  I put brackets every 18".  I doubt any gutter company would come out and install continuous aluminum gutters for $200 so that's how I ended up with vinyl.  On average we get about 5 days a year of 90F or higher, and it's never been 100F here, so I doubt they are going to sag.  But it's a shed and if they sag they sag.  As long as they collect and drain away the rain I'll be happy.  And they need to do that.  From the two little rains we've had since the roofing went on there are pretty good trenches in the dirt below the eaves.    

John

Should be ok with the no-bake heat there.

Hey catch that water and use it to water your garden with.
Another project........
Laugh
Uhoh
Uhoh
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(08-12-2018, 04:29 PM)jteneyck Wrote: Thanks.  Yep, just a shed.  I'm just doing what my wife said, "Make it look good.".  We've joked almost daily that it would make a very nice tiny house - except for the lack of power and plumbing.  

John

Very nice.  Even without electric and plumbing, my bride would just tell me to gather some 5 gallon buckets and get some Coleman lanterns, and I'd be moving in!!!  
Laugh
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
I don't know how big your actual shop is but with how well this building is turning out, I might consider moving there.  Nice job.