Strange, little saw
Oh..righty, then....blank was glued up last night.    Teeth were filed sharp....decided to leave them as a rip cut...

Sand and shape it, to fit my hands...
Rolleyes 

Added two saw nuts....steel frame merits steel bolts, right
Winkgrin  

Operator error caused it to drift a bit.    Otherwise, it is easy to start, and cuts fast.
Cool 

Gave the handle a coat of Amber Shellac.   IF the sun does come back out, I can let it "tan" the Cherry I used.

May not be a Perfection saw....but, I have one of those, already..

Thanks for looking in....
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
That should work fine. No comment on your standards for perfection.
Smirk
That was what the etch says , on that Atkins saw......
Winkgrin
(08-17-2018, 08:40 PM)bandit571 Wrote: That was what the etch says , on that Atkins saw......
Winkgrin

Oh, an Atkins...I was thinking your standard was Disston...I have a few Atkins backsaws.
Smile

And just so I don't give people the wrong impression, it's not that I don't think Disston made a good quality saw, in fact most of his saws were better value than most of their competition. It had more to do with that Disston sacrificed the highest quality in favor of production volumes. Certainly some of the best steel in it's day...brought saws to the masses, all that stuff is good. He was rewarded handsomely for it however, as he was one of the richest men in America during the 1800s. A remarkable marketing genius.

Alan
(08-17-2018, 10:04 PM)TraditionalToolworks Wrote: Oh, an Atkins...I was thinking your standard was Disston...I have a few Atkins backsaws.
Smile

And just so I don't give people the wrong impression, it's not that I don't think Disston made a good quality saw, in fact most of his saws were better value than most of their competition. It had more to do with that Disston sacrificed the highest quality in favor of production volumes. Certainly some of the best steel in it's day...brought saws to the masses, all that stuff is good. He was rewarded handsomely for it however, as he was one of the richest men in America during the 1800s. A remarkable marketing genius.

Alan
Up until around the 1920's, most of America was built using nothing but hand tools...and most of them were made in the USA...The imported tools of the day were mostly junk..As a teenager I helped my dad build a garage apartment right after WWII and we did it with no power tools at all...every cut was with a hand saw..Most carpenters of the day sharpened their own saws right on the job, using a "clamp-on" saw vise fastened to a saw horse...And surprisingly, the place is still standing!!!!!
Winkgrin .. kept a carborundum hone in a jar of kerosene to sharpen plane irons...We didn't know anything about "flat backs".....
Crazy
Laugh
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

(08-19-2018, 08:51 AM)Timberwolf Wrote: ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Up until around the 1920's, most of America was built using nothing but hand tools...and most of them were made in the USA...The imported tools of the day were mostly junk..As a teenager I helped my dad build a garage apartment right after WWII and we did it with no power tools at all...every cut was with a hand saw..Most carpenters of the day sharpened their own saws right on the job, using a "clamp-on" saw vise fastened to a saw horse...And surprisingly, the place is still standing!!!!!
Winkgrin .. kept a carborundum hone in a jar of kerosene to sharpen plane irons...We didn't know anything about "flat backs".....
Crazy  
Laugh

Jack,

In my accumulation of rusty stuff, I have a saw vise that was not a clamp on, but a "forged, hold fast type" that was hammered into whatever you wanted to hold it, be it a tree stump or a barn beam.

T.
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
(08-19-2018, 09:57 AM)Tony Z Wrote: Jack,

In my accumulation of rusty stuff, I have a saw vise that was not a clamp on, but a "forged, hold fast type" that was hammered into whatever you wanted to hold it, be it a tree stump or a barn beam.

T.
That sounds interesting, Tony...and very handy also...I love unusual old tools like that and I know you do too!...I have a sawhorse vice that naturally clamps on a sawhorse
Rolleyes but the unique feature is it is quick-clamp and quick-release!! I have never seen another one like it...It works great and I have it mounted..I guess it was complicated to manufacture and sell for a profit so it never "caught on"......and people didn't have much money for frills or fads like we do these days....
Big Grin ..I am glad to see tools like these being preserved for future old iron lovers...
Big Grin
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

(08-19-2018, 10:30 AM)Timberwolf Wrote: .................
That sounds interesting, Tony...and very handy also...I love unusual old tools like that and I know you do too!...I have a sawhorse vice that naturally clamps on a sawhorse
Rolleyes  but the unique feature is it is quick-clamp and quick-release!! I have never seen another one like it...It works great and I have it mounted..I guess it was complicated to manufacture and sell for a profit so it never "caught on"......and people didn't have much money for frills or fads like we do these days....
Big Grin ..I am glad to see tools like these being preserved for future old iron lovers...
Big Grin

Yeah, but us old war horses are going the way of the dinosaur! Sure there are collectable tools, but maybe our interest should be more on those that were used and not the pristine, stayed on the shelf stuff!
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
Been using this old, $10 saw vise...
Rolleyes 

Seller was asking $20, offered $10...sold!

Wentworth No. 1
Cool 

May need to use a longer 2 x plank, at some time....saw file?
Confused 

From Menard's..$5.96+ Tax.
(08-19-2018, 08:51 AM)Timberwolf Wrote: ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Crazy  
Laugh

Indeed this was the case Jack.

I couldn't encourage people to think about building structures more, whether it be a shop in your backyard or a a large shop on your property if you have enough space, or even en entire house! An Accessory Building is a huge win in itself. I built a 200 sq.ft. Accessory Building, I use for my office and hand tool work. I have 2 benches, one for wood and one for metal. So I can file saws, refurbish saws, assemble saws, cut joinery, make handles, etc...I haven't done too much woodworking recently, and haven't made any saws in a while. Trying to get back into it.

Anyway, people can work through the building issues, my office/shop in my yard is used ever single day. It is some of the best space I have at my house. It has more than paid for itself, several fold over.

The new shop will be in the walkout basement of the house I'm building. It will have more space and allow me to setup all my woodworking machines again.

Alan