silo staves
A neighbor has a pile of wood (I don't know the variety) of silo staves, approximaely 60 of them, aboiut 30 feet long The silo came down as a result of a severe thunderstorm (tornado?) Understandably the surface shows signs of weathering (neighbor estimates age of the silo at close to 100 years) but the interior is solid. The second picture shows the  cut end of one of the boards. They're suprisingly heavy. If you're interested, I'll put you in touch with the neighbor so you can deal with him directly.  Located in Scandia, MN, about 30 miles northeast of St. Paul

Attached Files Image(s)

Is that cedar or redwood or something? Amazing to find boards that long. Sadly I'm nowhere near there to snag a few pieces

**Edit: never mind... you said you didn't know the variety. I should've read more carefully
Big Grin
Alex
Final Assembly Quality Inspector for the manufacture of custom vintage sport biplanes
[Image: 07-15-28-122_512.gif]
(08-19-2018, 05:24 PM)alanealane Wrote: Is that cedar or redwood or something? Amazing to find boards that long. Sadly I'm nowhere near there to snag a few pieces

**Edit: never mind... you said you didn't know the variety. I should've read more carefully
Big Grin

My guess is some variety of pine,  Southern Yellow, long leaf?
(08-14-2018, 07:02 PM)thewalnutguy Wrote: A neighbor has a pile of wood (I don't know the variety) of silo staves, approximaely 60 of them, aboiut 30 feet long The silo came down as a result of a severe thunderstorm (tornado?) Understandably the surface shows signs of weathering (neighbor estimates age of the silo at close to 100 years) but the interior is solid. The second picture shows the  cut end of one of the boards. They're suprisingly heavy. If you're interested, I'll put you in touch with the neighbor so you can deal with him directly.  Located in Scandia, MN, about 30 miles northeast of St. Paul

When we took our wooden silo down circa 1952, it was made of old growth Cyprus.  Dad used that stuff around the farm for years before it was used up. Might be worth a trip to Mn.
Believe it or not, there is still a company making wood silos, in Fort Plain, NY, about 6 miles from where I grew up.  Link

John