Rough Cut Fine Woodworking
(08-19-2018, 07:44 AM)handi Wrote: I do post with each new episode up in Woodworking. 
But honestly I think many members are sick of me talking about my show, so I am surprised you’ve not even heard of it!

https://forums.woodnet.net/showthread.php?tid=7341230

Woodcademy TV

Weird,

I have never noticed your posts about this show either.  That table looks interesting, I'll check it out.
(08-20-2018, 08:26 AM)BloomingtonMike Wrote: Definitely Agree!

Thanks Mike!
Ralph Bagnall
www.woodcademy.com
Watch Woodcademy TV free on our website.
(08-20-2018, 09:59 AM)stav Wrote: Weird,

I have never noticed your posts about this show either.  That table looks interesting, I'll check it out.

Stav, Season 1 is complete, 8 episodes to watch, and free plans for each project.

The first episode of Season 2 will be available on Sep 12th.
Ralph Bagnall
www.woodcademy.com
(08-20-2018, 06:15 PM)handi Wrote: Stav, Season 1 is complete, 8 episodes to watch, and free plans for each project.

The first episode of Season 2 will be available on Sep 12th.

Ralph,

I have watched your show on Amazon and I enjoy it!  Keep up the good work!

There are not enough woodworking shows that show proper techniques and work habits.  Youtube is a cesspool of "content providers" that are not policed, and they demonstrate MANY work practices that will end up costing them, or the person watching them, some fingers one day.  I am convinced that most of the youtube woodworking "Content Providers" have never heard of a push stick because most that I have seen don't use them!

Keep the show coming Ralph!!!

John
Formerly known as John's Woodshop
(08-21-2018, 07:16 AM)Belle City Woodworking Wrote: Ralph,

I have watched your show on Amazon and I enjoy it!  Keep up the good work!

There are not enough woodworking shows that show proper techniques and work habits.  Youtube is a cesspool of "content providers" that are not policed, and they demonstrate MANY work practices that will end up costing them, or the person watching them, some fingers one day.  I am convinced that most of the youtube woodworking "Content Providers" have never heard of a push stick because most that I have seen don't use them!

Keep the show coming Ralph!!!

John
Much appreciated John! 
Season 2 begins on September 12th, and I have Bessey, MicroJig, Sketchlist, Advantage Lumber and M-Power Tools sponsoring the show, so as views grow, I will keep it up!

Please take the time to review the show on Amazon and let the Sponsors know you appreciate their support. That is the best way you can help keep the show coming.
Ralph Bagnall
www.woodcademy.com
Just watched it, and like it! New host far better for TV (not saying new or old is the better woodworker).
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
Just watched it this morning.  He and the guest made a lamp.  Pretty good show, and he's got good screen presence.  I was only half watching, as I thought the DVR would get it and I could watch more intently later, but for some reason it didn't.  
Upset
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
Watched the Bow Front Cabinet episode; surprised that Tommy did not cover the door hinging part. I bet a lot of viewers don't know how to install knife hinges.

Simon
(08-27-2018, 07:21 AM)DaveR1 Wrote: Tom could have easily spent more than half the show just on installing the hinges. Fine Woodworking offers a number of resources showing the installation of knife hinges with more detail than Tom could have provided during the show. The first eight links here, for example.

I agree the 30-minute time limit is partly why something has to be left out. Hinge placement and mortising could take up another minute or two that Tommy did not have.

It could also be a deliberate move (marketing ploy) to draw viewers to the FW site. I am not condemning if that is the practice, because FW has to get something back for its sponsorship. But Tommy should at least cover the hinging part (10 seconds?), even if it was just a mentioning and showing of the type of hinge (which not everyone has seen). Woodcraft carries that kind of hinge and would have been thrilled if Tommy talked about it. I would even have preferred skipping the dovetail coping saw/chopping part to make time for the hinging.

The project as well as presentation was excellent, but not complete if one of the most important parts was missed out. I don't quite recall getting that kind of feeling with the New Yankee Workshop even though it was also half hour long.

Simon
(08-27-2018, 10:13 AM)DaveR1 Wrote: I think it's a no win situation when the time is so limited. You would have preferred to see more about the hinges, someone else would prefer to see the dovetails, and another would prefer they'd spent more time on the curved door. Perhaps if they'd been able to show the project being built in real time with every step included they would be able to satisfy more viewers. Of course there'd have been those complaining that the show took too long. 
Crazy 

All of the information required to do all of those things is already out there, much of it for free, and not difficult to find for those who are interested. 

And yes, Fine Woodworking is hoping to generate some traffic. If you watch the episodes on their site, the provide links to the supporting resources as the video goes along and also provide links in the text on the page. And for some of the projects such as that cabinet, there's even a link to download the PDF version of the plans for free.

I think Tommy covers the layout part well which adds to understanding of how the varied dovetail is done, I am not sure how showing the coping saw and chopping in 5 seconds would help. He also covers the bending part well, very well in fact. I am not suggesting that all the details of all the techniques shown should be included. No one will be able to lay out let alone dovetail by watching the cabinet episode. Rob Cosman and many others need one to two full hours to do that in their DVDs. I am saying a critical part is missing there. Anyone who expects to know how to hinge a door after watching a 15 second shot is fooling himself. Not even showing the hinges (two different leaves) was his call, one that I happen to have a different view on. Obviously yours is different from mine which is fine, but it does not diminish my earlier point that the episode was well done but could be improved without sacrificing any other useful details.

Projects built in real time? That has never been the expectation of any viewers of Rough Cut or New Yankee or any PBS woodworking shows. Paul Sellers, Rob Cosman etc. can be turned to if anyone is interested in that type of presentation.

As I said, I don't mind getting referred to the FW site, and perhaps that is what Tommy should have done, telling viewers that -- after showing the knife hinges -- the knife hinges require detail work and it's worth checking them out.

Simon