Mildew/Moldy Smell
same thing happened in my daughters room.  I drove me nuts trying to find the smell.  Crawled in the attic looking for leaks, I even pulled the carpet back in the closet.  Turned out it was one of her shoes that she used to were playing dress up.
(08-17-2018, 05:58 PM)Snipe Hunter Wrote: Are your gutters clean?
A lot of the water damage and mold I find in houses is from clogged gutters. That and leaking faucets and toilets.

They are clean and have been clean.  I try and stay on top of the gutters simply because of all the problems dirty gutters cause.  I also climbed up there on Thursday and inspected all the windows and gutters in this area...everything looks fine. 

The quest continues today....

Matt
(08-18-2018, 08:43 AM)matthewstimp Wrote: They are clean and have been clean.  I try and stay on top of the gutters simply because of all the problems dirty gutters cause.  I also climbed up there on Thursday and inspected all the windows and gutters in this area...everything looks fine. 

The quest continues today....

Matt
Are there any pipes in the bedroom walls or under the floor? Maybe sill-***** on the wall outside? Possible wet insulation under the floor?
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

(08-17-2018, 01:15 PM)matthewstimp Wrote: I have thought about something related to a dead animal...the inspector is a good idea.  Do you think any home inspector (who is worth their salt) would be able to handle this?

I really do not want to have to open this wall up...

Matt

The home inspector I hired when I bought my home missed so many things that I am not sure I would recommend one.  

I had a raccoon climb up in my attic. I hired a pest control company to come out and they said he was no longer up there and they added wire mesh to lock him out.  But he found his way in anyway and then could not figure how to get out.  Between the smell and the flies it was hell.  

I called that same pest control company and they quoted over the phone $500.00 to remove the animal, but no clean up was included.  I got my gardener to remove the corpse, the soiled insulation and feces and install fresh fiberglass for $200.00.  It took him just two hours but it was such nasty work that I felt compelled to pay the high rate.  He also added some more mesh, so I hope I don't get a repeat performance.  

I suffer from "phantom odor syndrome" where I smell things that don't really exist.  Mostly I smell cigarettes where there is no possible source for the odor.  I thought I smelled the dead raccoon a couple weeks back, but I brought others in and they don't smell it.  Either it is another phantom odor or I have a more acute sense of smell.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.