12 - 14 gloat
(08-30-2018, 03:25 PM)EvilTwin Wrote: Yeah, long time ago.  Used a piece of oak to fill in, made a fence out of some 80/20 and some benchdog pieces.  Don't know if I have a current picture posted somewhere that I can link to, this site has no upload capability.

Confused
Confused
Confused
Confused

Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
(08-30-2018, 01:39 PM)fishhh4 Wrote: I am thinking full refurb .....Bearings ..belts ..Paint . Probably won't  touch motor ...just paint . Its a louis Alllis Pacemaker 3 hp ...bulletproof . Did not know they offered a 3 hp ... Or maybe it is a replacement . No time to dig right now . got a plug and wire for it ... Will have to figure out whether it was running 460 or 230 . My understanding is two wire to lL1 , L2 , L3 is 460 ... One wire is 230 . Can't wait to dig into it .
Smirk

Normal scheme is T1-T7-L1, T2-T8-L2, and T3-T9-L3 and T4-T5-T6 nutted together for 230V configuration, and T1-L1, T2-L2, T3-L3 for 460V config with T4-T7, T5-T8, and T6-T9 nutted together. 

I wasn't aware of Louis-Allis having supplied motors for Delta, but it's possible.  I've had some customs built by them in the 90's, and that was their primary business at the time as (I guess) there were loads of manufacturers in the stock motor business, up to 500 hp or so.

My 1961 catalog shows 3 hp in both single- and three-phase, and also 5 hp.  Later catalogs, as I recall, only had 5 hp in single- and three-phase, and 7.5 hp in three-phase only.  But I don't have a catalog from the late 60's with that saw in it (just contractor and home machines), so no help there.

Interestingly, they offered a 14" "variety saw" in 3 hp and 5 hp flavors that looked very different from the "Heavy Duty Production Tilting Arbor Saw" that later was name the 12-14", but in the same catalog.  Both wheels in the front, flat bar fence rail, and waffle table extension on the right.  A little lighter than the 12-14, too, at 706 lb (no motor) vs 798 lb for the 12-14 with no motor.
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
(08-30-2018, 03:35 PM)TDKPE Wrote:
Confused
Confused
Confused
Confused

I missed the attachment button on the bottom.  Of course when I try and attach it, its too large.  I even tried to link to a previous photo on woodnet, but it doesnt seem to work.
I know what Clint Eastwood would say . I would rather hear Tom chime in .
From your explanation Tom ... I can assume this is wired for 230 ???

I got a splitter made up for it . 3/32 " by 4" tall . It turned out well .

If it can't kill you it probably ain't no good. Better living through chemicals.

(09-08-2018, 10:42 AM)fishhh4 Wrote: I know what Clint Eastwood would say . I would rather hear Tom chime in .
From your explanation Tom ... I can assume this is wired for 230 ???

I got a splitter made up for it . 3/32 " by 4" tall . It turned out well .

Yes, that's a safe assumption.  

In fact, since 240V 3-phase isn't used much, I'd bet it was run on 208V, though that doesn't matter - same motor lead connection.  Even if the motor isn't specifically rated for 208V, it'll still run on it, just be a bit weak as it's an under-voltage condition.  But that doesn't apply to you, using an RPC for 240V 3-phase creation.  But there's a good chance the motor nameplate shows 208-230/460V with corresponding FLA values.

You should check the magnetic control for coil voltage and/or control transformer voltage.  Many, including Delta's pancake shaped LV control, were configurable for different mains voltages by simply moving connections around.

Any chance you can snap a pic of the motor's nameplate?  For hard to read nameplates like that one, I usually use the 'selfi' mode on my phone so I can see what I'm aiming at.
Tom

(09-08-2018, 11:18 AM)TDKPE Wrote: Yes, that's a safe assumption.  

In fact, since 240V 3-phase isn't used much, I'd bet it was run on 208V, though that doesn't matter - same motor lead connection.  Even if the motor isn't specifically rated for 208V, it'll still run on it, just be a bit weak as it's an under-voltage condition.  But that doesn't apply to you, using an RPC for 240V 3-phase creation.  But there's a good chance the motor nameplate shows 208-230/460V with corresponding FLA values.

You should check the magnetic control for coil voltage and/or control transformer voltage.  Many, including Delta's pancake shaped LV control, were configurable for different mains voltages by simply moving connections around.

Any chance you can snap a pic of the motor's nameplate?  For hard to read nameplates like that one, I usually use the 'selfi' mode on my phone so I can see what I'm aiming at.

I will go out and get one now . good tip on the selfie ... I was contorted to no end getting these photos . I used simple green last time . I am going to give orange cleaner a try this time .

If it can't kill you it probably ain't no good. Better living through chemicals.

Well the selfie was blurry . Got one though ... cleaned up nice .

(09-08-2018, 11:43 AM)fishhh4 Wrote: Well the selfie was blurry . Got one though ... cleaned up nice .

Sure did.  And it's only 3 hp.

But I guessed the wrong side of the coin - it's 230/460V, not 208-230/460V ha ha.  
Laugh

Since it's probably a replacement motor*, I'd check the voltage on the control anyway.  In case it's 208V.  You can't know where and how it was used when it was new or what was done to it over the years.  You'll burn it out a bit quick on 240V if it is, and with a phase converter, you might have high voltage on a manufactured leg, so it's worth checking.

*I'd send a PM and/or email to Delta007 to inquire about motor manufacturers from that era, since he actually worked there in a support role for several decades.  While it's possible that L-A made OEM motors for them, I don't remember seeing any in my travels.  Maybe sniff around OWWM, too.  If you care, of course, which you may not since you said you're going to flip it.
Tom

Sweeeeet!  
Cool

Tom