Getting screw to hold in side of Coleman cooler
(08-18-2018, 10:26 AM)messmaker Wrote: Had to move work cooler from trailer to the back of truck and now it is sliding everywhere on bed liner. I tried a luggage strap but it kept sliding down the side of the cooler. I need to add some tie down points. What can I put in the shell of a cooler that will hold and not pull through. Is a toggle bolt the right answer? I also thought of something like a Command hook. It has a handle design that won't fare well to lateral pulls. It is a $40 buck Coleman. I started to get a Yeti,Rtic,Canyon,Engle type that had tie downs  but they are heavy and expensive so I would end up having to lock it in place and that would be a pain.

Surprised noone mentioned them, but rivnuts.  They are like pop rivets, even use the same install tool, but are threaded so that you can use machine screws to secure things to thin sheetmetal vs. using sheetmetal screws and work in blind holes.  The bonus is that by tightening the machine screw, you actually tighten the rivnut against the piece its installed in, unlike a pop rivet that can pull out or loosen up over time.
Paul
They were right, I SHOULDN'T have tried it at home!
Stainless steel fender washers.

Home Depot and Lowes sell some sizes or order here:

https://www.boltdepot.com/Fender_washers..._18-8.aspx
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
(08-18-2018, 10:26 AM)messmaker Wrote: Had to move work cooler from trailer to the back of truck and now it is sliding everywhere on bed liner. I tried a luggage strap but it kept sliding down the side of the cooler. I need to add some tie down points. What can I put in the shell of a cooler that will hold and not pull through. Is a toggle bolt the right answer? I also thought of something like a Command hook. It has a handle design that won't fare well to lateral pulls. It is a $40 buck Coleman. I started to get a Yeti,Rtic,Canyon,Engle type that had tie downs  but they are heavy and expensive so I would end up having to lock it in place and that would be a pain.

stainless steel screw and large fender washer.   It won't pull through.
WoodNET... the new safespace
Or fasten a "tray" to the bed.  Add a few eyebolts and use bungee cords to hold it in place.  The tray could be made from exterior plywood (base) and four pieces of 2 x 4 stock for the "walls".  The tray would need to be secured to the bed, but the cooler would not have to be drilled and would retain its water tight properties.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.