Getting screw to hold in side of Coleman cooler
(08-21-2018, 11:21 AM)messmaker Wrote: I thought about it, but the $250 gave me pause. I can guarantee it would get stolen out of the back of the truck. Judging by the numerous cooler locks they sell, it must be common.

Wellnuts work on the toggle bolt principle, but maintain a water resistant penetration when properly installed...I use them on my kayak and my racing/rowing shell for attachments...
Stainless carriage bolts- drill the holes and set the head of the bolt on the inside so you don't cut yourself when reaching inside the cooler- mount D rings on the outside and trim the rest of the bolt and file it smooth.
(08-21-2018, 12:01 PM)daddo Wrote: Stainless carriage bolts- drill the holes and set the head of the bolt on the inside so you don't cut yourself when reaching inside the cooler- mount D rings on the outside and trim the rest of the bolt and file it smooth.

Like this idea...a lot...
How about one of those small stretchy cargo nets?
Blackhat

Bad experiences come from poor decisions. So do good stories. 

(08-21-2018, 11:21 AM)messmaker Wrote: I thought about it, but the $250 gave me pause. I can guarantee it would get stolen out of the back of the truck. Judging by the numerous cooler locks they sell, it must be common.
Yes, a lot of money. 

And according to this video test (which seems convincing) it did not fare well against the much cheaper (but still very expensive) Cabela ice chest.

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/K3l47v7fw3s" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
I mounted tie downs on various things, like kayaks.  Often, a backer is needed for strength.  I have found that a cheap dollar store cutting board, counter sunk, works great.  For the last cooler I did, I used a backer to insure the cooler would stay IN the kayak if it rolled in the river, while running the rapids.

I cut the backer plate about an inch and a half wide, three inches long, and put a bead of Goop around the edges.  The stainless deck loops ordered on line were placed high on the cooler. 
https://www.amazon.com/Amarine-made-Stai...DWGNBAADQ2
The holes drilled thru the cooler and backer, and the deck loop secured with stainless nuts, washers, and bolts.  Goop was placed in the hole just before the hardware.  Never leaked, solid as a safe.  Sold with that kayak. 
Big Grin
Jim in Okie
You can tell a lot about the character of a man -
By the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.
Yeah, you have that plate inside the cooler, but it really doesn't get in the way, and though it's considered ugly by some, your cooler won't blow out of the back of the truck... even at seventy mph. 
Yes
Jim in Okie
You can tell a lot about the character of a man -
By the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.
I ended up going with a new cooler that a place for tie downs. Much sturdier and better insulated and at an incredible price. I was able to find a 20% off coupon and free shipping. Cost before tx was under $80. It is built like a safe. i suspect it will last a lifetime.
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=15638
1st class birdhouse builder/scrapwood mfg.
There are too many coolers in the market how we know which one is best?
(08-18-2018, 04:13 PM)Admiral Wrote: Why not just a couple of eye bolts  mounted high with fender washers on the inside and outside with some caulk/silicone to seal, Locktite the interior bolts and cut off any extended length.  Run bungee cords or cord through them and secure. Cheap, simple, won't compromise use.

Yes, this. I just want to ad, use stainless, and a locknut on the eyebolt.

OP, your new cooler looks ok. Decent price
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020