Thickness Planer Question
Dear All - I recently purchased a new DW735 planer to replace my old Delta that gave out on me.  I am for the most part satisfied with its performance, but I do have a question if anyone owns one (I assume yes since it is a pretty popular model).

When I run it, I have my dust collector hooked up to it.  When I am feeding the stock in and out, there is a tremendous amount of static electricity emitting from the hose; I can feel it strongly even when I am 9 - 12" away.  Since the planer has its own exhaust fan, I tried it without the dust collector running, and it may have lessened the static electricity a very small amount, if at all.  I called Dewalt customer service and they have assured me it is not dangerous.  Glad for that but it is really uncomfortable and annoying.  All outlets are grounded properly.  

Does anyone have a similar experience with their DW735?  Any suggestion on how to prevent or lessen?  Always appreciate the advice I get her so thank you in advance...FPT.
I had the same problem with my 735. I switched the hose to the one I am linking and haven't had a problem since.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B010BYZMY8/ref...UTF8&psc=1
Fill your heart with compassion, seek the jewel in every soul, share a word of kindness, and remember; the people's what it's about.
Capt. Tony Tarracino

Wrap some bare copper wire around the hose and run it to ground? Make sure the machine is grounded as well

(08-18-2018, 11:28 AM)fptahoe Wrote: When I run it, I have my dust collector hooked up to it.  When I am feeding the stock in and out, there is a tremendous amount of static electricity emitting from the hose; I can feel it strongly even when I am 9 - 12" away.  Since the planer has its own exhaust fan, I tried it without the dust collector running, and it may have lessened the static electricity a very small amount, if at all.  I called Dewalt customer service and they have assured me it is not dangerous.  Glad for that but it is really uncomfortable and annoying.  All outlets are grounded properly.  

Does anyone have a similar experience with their DW735?  Any suggestion on how to prevent or lessen?  Always appreciate the advice I get her so thank you in advance...FPT.

Don't own a DeWalt, but do understand a couple things about static buildup.  Going to be worse with low humidity, but without knowing what's on your gauge, don't know if that's the problem.  Also varies a bit depending on species.  

Your planer has a grounding plug, so any place with metal - a conductor - uninterrupted by plastic - an insulator - connected to it is certainly grounded.  Expect whatever you're using as a dust collector ditto.  But that plastic, non-conducting shell(s) and hose can't be grounded.  Rubbed with shavings, it will build up a static charge.  Route the hose where you're not likely to lift the hair on your arm or draw a poke from it, and use whatever keeps the shop cleanest.  

Fact of life.  My metal Rockwell builds up a bit of static from the rubbing of the belts, most likely, and shows it by collecting some dust on the painted - insulated - areas.   So does the hose, even though it is "grounded" with an interior wire reinforcement.  If you like, demonstrate the truth by exposing a piece of the bare wire inside the hose and attaching a clip and wire to the grounded metal frame.  Still get static.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
Here in northern Nevada this time of the year the humidity runs in the low to mid single digits so static electricity is bad. Well I got tired of getting shocked all the time so I came up with this solution. It doesn't get rid of all the static electricity but I am no longer getting a nasty shock every time I get close to the hose. I made it so it's removable along with the proprietary exhaust port. That way I can fold up the out feed table and can still easily hook up the ground when I set it up for use.

[Image: 43356008585_a883a401a4_b.jpg]
[Image: 42454185380_6865abe98b_b.jpg]
(08-19-2018, 06:26 PM)wood-chips Wrote: Thank you all for this - very much appreciated!  It is not a low humidity area - I don't have a measurement but it is in the basement and the humidity is "controlled" by the dehumidifier in the house.  I think the first thing I will try is the new hose from Amazon as suggested - seems like a neat and easy solution if it works.  Thank you all, again...FPT.
[Image: J9DIypHvVXVRHi6jJJHQ6RMP_GrIenBlzsiQohnW...20-h933-no][Image: _12FEFmoaydvSVk2Rq5e9OYziylXDb7sx93wLeam...20-h933-no]
Anytime you move particles through air past surfaces (like the tubes) it will generate static electricity.  (This is what caused the big dust storms of the '30's -- dust particles got charged and then they would float easier and then they built up into the huge clouds because the particles all had the same charge.  Even when the wind died the dust would gather in "drifts" like snow but unless something killed the charge it would blow again next time the wind came up.  I lived through a few storms in the '60's and 70's in Texas.  Nasty stuff )

I've wondered if painting the tubing with Aluminum paint would create enough of a conductive path to allow you to ground the tube.

The sleeve and ground clamp might be simpler.
"Truth is a highway leading to freedom"  --Kris Kristofferson

Wild Turkey
We may see the writing on the wall, but all we do is criticize the handwriting.
(joined 10/1999)