Did I screw up my cutting board?
(08-24-2018, 06:43 PM)OneStaple Wrote: Correct me if I'm wrong, but to me it really looks like you poured the mineral oil (Howard's) on in a loop-de-loop pattern around the board.  It looks like it mostly soaked in where you poured it, and then you tried to smear it around a bit.  The dark areas would be where the wood absorbed a significant amount of oils, leaving little for the rest of the board.  The board will absorb A LOT of oil.

Assuming the above is true, you need to SOAK the board in oil.  Some people dunk/submerge it in a tub of mineral oil.  I use about a quart of oil (yes, most of that oil soaks in) in a shallow pan and soak each side for 12-24 hours.  If you "feed" it a bunch more oil like it wants, the color will be uniform.  It'll all be the darker shade that you see, but it will be uniform.

Tyler

I should have mentioned this - I meant to respond to the actual thread, not just ramble about mineral oil.

I do a lot of cutting boards, but mostly edge grain (not end grain). Edge grain does not absorb anywhere near as much liquid as end grain, even on a dense wood like maple.

I have one going right now (as usual) and the maple end grain can get that dark. Edge grain will stay pretty light, but end grain will soak it right up. All woods will and they will darken significantly.

I don't soak, though that is a pretty good way to do it if you buy in bulk. That way you could pour a gallon in a good-sized Rubbermaid container (shallow and big enough for your boards) and reuse it for other boards. In any case, I have a sheet of cheap acrylic that I use along with painter's pyramids (be VERY careful with these, as they can dent the wood if they're too pointy) and I will cover the board with oil. I keep a very wet surface (it should look like glass, and it has enough viscosity that it won't just run off). Even with edge grain, there are times when a pretty substantial layer of oil will soak in. End grain is considerably thirstier and it gets much darker.

So in any case I'm on the same page here. Keep oiling until it won't take any more. Mineral oil is non-hardening and should not cause any sort of reaction with the wood (or really anything else in the wood, natural or foreign) so causing any sort of discoloration or damage from mineral oil is likely impossible. It's just that parts of the board want more oil.
I agree with the above. All you can really do is to keep soaking it in the oil until the surface is really saturated. (As it dries, it will probably bleed back on you.) I'm guessing the color will even out a good bit once the surface is saturated, but unfortunately, you won't really know until you try.
Steve S.
------------------------------------------------------
Tradition cannot be inherited, and if you want it you must obtain it by great labour.
- T. S. Eliot

Tutorials and Build-Alongs at The Literary Workshop
Ok then I’ll keep soaking it and see what happens!
"Some glue, some brads while the glue dries, and that's not going anywhere!"
Norm
(08-24-2018, 06:43 PM)OneStaple Wrote: Correct me if I'm wrong, but to me it really looks like you poured the mineral oil (Howard's) on in a loop-de-loop pattern around the board. 

Yes!
Norm
Does Howard’s have a wax in it? Make sure you keep soaking in the same stuff you used before
Those end grain cutting boards soak up a bunch of oil. I finished 3 with pure tung oil and the three together soaked up about a pint. Let them dry for at least a week.
I haven’t made a cutting board in a while, but when I made them I’d line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and pour it on top. For that size I’d put on about a cup on the top and let it soak in for a few minutes, hit the sides, flip it, pour another cup on the bottom and let it soak for a minute, and repeat until it wasn’t absorbing any more mineral oil.

You want it to the point that the mineral oil sits on top because the board can’t absorb anymore.
Looks like uneven absorption. Did you let finish pool in those dark areas? The dark areas are over saturated. I’d find it hard to believe they absorbed that much more finish on there own. I’d let it sit for a week and see how it looks. It may take longer. Do those areas still seem saturated?

How did this turn out?

Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

(09-02-2018, 11:05 AM)BloomingtonMike Wrote: How did this turn out?

Sorry, I've been out of town a lot. I actually dipped it in the Howard's again for maybe 10 seconds, and after a while it did even out FYI!
Paul
Norm