Lee Valley Grinder
Does anyone have this?  I have a 3/4 HP motor but it has a 5/8 inch shaft. Wondering if anyone modified it for another motor (bigger then the 1/2 inch shaft) and any thoughts about this grinder?

http://www.leevalley.com/us/wood/page.as...at=1,43072
"Life is too short for bad tools.".-- Pedder 7/22/11
No I don't have it.

Maybe take the supplied 1/2" pulley to a machine shop and have it bored out, or find another pulley.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(08-24-2018, 01:57 PM)Scott W Wrote: Does anyone have this?  I have a 3/4 HP motor but it has a 5/8 inch shaft. Wondering if anyone modified it for another motor (bigger then the 1/2 inch shaft) and any thoughts about this grinder?

http://www.leevalley.com/us/wood/page.as...at=1,43072

Take a good look at the HF grinder...Less than 55 bucks with the motor if you have a 20% discount coupon, It's the best buy you can get at HF...The 3/4hp motor you have is a gross overkill...A 1/4 or 1/3hp is all you need for a 1"X30" belt grinder.
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

(08-24-2018, 02:41 PM)Timberwolf Wrote: .............
Take a good look at the HF grinder...Less than 55 bucks with the motor if you have a 20% discount coupon, It's the best buy you can get at HF...The 3/4hp motor you have is a gross overkill...A 1/4 or 1/3hp is all you need for a 1"X30" belt grinder.

Thanks folks
FWIW,
I have that grinder.
The large drive wheel is cast aluminum, the hub in the center is about 1.160 inch diameter.
Probably could be bored to fit a larger shaft, and a new keyway cut.
I have a 2nd hand, 1/3hp, 1725 motor, on mine, and I can't stall it, with wood.
I don't use it for metal, but probably would be good.
I have another, older, different manufacturer, same design, that has a 3450 motor on it.
It works great for metal, I use it all the time-bought it used, 20 years ago.
It is too fast for wood though, it burns wood easily.
They both use the same 42" belt.
IMHO, the 42" belt lasts a lot longer than the 30" belt model, I had before.
Hope this helps you decide.
Welp...FWIW I just left HF and I have a sander and 2 packs of belts for under $55.

Not bad.
(08-25-2018, 05:40 PM)Scott W Wrote: Welp...FWIW I just left HF and I have a sander and 2 packs of belts for under $55.

Not bad.

If you are going to be using this for metal removal do yourself a favor and order some ceramic belts. Grind one or two radiuses on 1/4 bar or re-bevel a knife and the aluminum oxide 60 grit becomes 180 grit in a hurry.
P.S. What is the plural for radius?
Proud maker of large quantities of sawdust......oh, and the occasional project!
Radii

"Ray-dee-eye"
(08-26-2018, 07:26 AM)KyleD Wrote: If you are going to be using this for metal removal do yourself a favor and order some ceramic belts. Grind one or two radiuses on 1/4 bar or re-bevel a knife and the aluminum oxide 60 grit becomes 180 grit in a hurry.
P.S.  What is the plural for radius?
Norton Ceramic are by far the best...but they are also the most expensive..like three times as much as AO.. Zirconia is also pretty good....Another great accessory for this machine is the 30" leather stropping belt...Ebay has them for about 20 bucks and they can put a hair-popping edge on tools quickly. You can also get belts cheaper on Ebay..I use them all the time for grinding my woodcarving knife blades.

Lots of Youtube videos on modifications you can make to improve the function to your satisfaction on this machine.
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset