Leigh RTJ400 Dovetail Jig
I am looking to see if any members of this forum have this Leigh product and what are their opinions of it's ease of use.  I am considering buying it but want to get feedback from others that have it as to whether or not it lives up to it's claims for ease of use (and safety).  Actually, any information from your personal use will be a big help to me.

Thank you in advance.

"Remember, no matter where you go, there you are!"
Save the whales! Collect the whole set.
(08-25-2018, 05:14 PM)Dan in Louisiana Wrote: I am looking to see if any members of this forum have this Leigh product and what are their opinions of it's ease of use.  I am considering buying it but want to get feedback from others that have it as to whether or not it lives up to it's claims for ease of use (and safety).  Actually, any information from your personal use will be a big help to me.

Thank you in advance.

"Remember, no matter where you go, there you are!"

I received one as a Christmas gift a few years back. I opened the box and have never used it and wil be selling it, as I have been doing dovetails by hand for better than a dozen years and cannot take sawdust generated by power tools. It is made to be used with a router table, which potentially makes it more accurate and safer than using a handheld router.

As I said, I have never used the tool, and in studying it, plus a well written article is Woodsmith, and the DVD that accompanied the jig, the jig appears ver easy to use and accurate. I found the manual that came with it, a bit repetitive and confusing.

As I said, I will be selling mine, as it has never been used and doubt that I ever will.
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
Have used it for building cabinet doors. Started with a cheap Rockler jig that I hated and took a long time to dial in the setup. The Leigh is very easily to setup and once you have it dialed in, it is easy to repeat the setup. Probably the biggest difference is the dust collection. The Rockler jig had no provision for dust collection and made a huge mess. The Leigh directs everything to the router table dust collection port and is effective if you have it connected to a decent DC. You need to get the optional kit of additional router bits if you need anything other then the limited options with the provided bits. Overall, I am very pleased with the jig.
Meant to say cabinet drawers.
(08-26-2018, 07:14 AM)pwiner Wrote: Have used it for building cabinet doors. Started with a cheap Rockler jig that I hated and took a long time to dial in the setup. The Leigh is very easily to setup and once you have it dialed in, it is easy to repeat the setup. Probably the biggest difference is the dust collection. The Rockler jig had no provision for dust collection and made a huge mess. The Leigh directs everything to the router table dust collection port and is effective if you have it connected to a decent DC. You need to get the optional kit of additional router bits if you need anything other then the limited options with the provided bits. Overall, I am very pleased with the jig.

That is helpful and I appreciate your information.
Dan
Save the whales! Collect the whole set.
I just posted mine on the "For Sale" part of Woodnet.
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com